April 20, 2024, 01:27:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Welder problem.  (Read 3193 times)
peewee

« on: November 26, 2019, 11:24:52 PM »

Does any one else have this problem.when I turn my welder on wether is my mig or arch either blows the fuse in the plug or the main one on the fuse board.will it help to turn the amps right down then increase once it's running or is there another simple solution?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 11:57:15 AM »

Is that recent or has it always done that?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Archie

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 02:15:49 PM »

Is it a 16amp being stepped down to normal 3 pin?
the coppersmith

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 02:22:23 PM »

I did have, and as said it was 16amp. I took out, bypassed the system, used the blue 240 volt plugs and a dedicated supply, no more trouble. Big cooker fuse in the board too.
peewee

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2019, 11:22:08 PM »

It's allways been a problem with this arc welder and my mig does it too.had a old one that ran ok.today the arc blew the fuse in the shed and the house in one go I reset them both then it ran for about half an hour with no problems.when I got it it didn't have a plug on it so just put a 13amp one on??
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 11:26:35 PM »

I've got a 150 amp MIG that runs on a 13 amp plug with no problems. How big's your welder?

peewee

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 10:42:53 PM »

It's 190amp I wanded if it was really too heavy to run off household and should get a smaller one I never run it cranked up anyway.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 12:26:41 PM »

Sounds that way doesn't it.

peewee

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 06:36:46 AM »

Just bought a little inverter welder no bigger than a shoe box but so far so good.it welds a little different to my Clarke one but will get used to it.thanks for your help.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 07:27:08 PM »

Never quite understood what an inverter welder is. Basically an arc welder?

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2019, 10:34:05 PM »

It's a DC welder Mr M. The inverter electronically controls and converts the mains 240v. AC supply, to DC, then steps down that DC output to welding voltage. The smaller transformer used makes more compact, Morrag PS. Peewee, put a dedicated 30 amp supply for your earlier fuse blowing probs.

Beware the Ides of March, But!
peewee

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2019, 07:01:14 AM »

No just running it of 13 amp not had any problems as yet.it doesn't seem to need that surge to get it running.someone said to me that they have a tendency to cut out if you run them for a while but not had that problem yet.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2019, 06:31:17 PM »

Yes Mr M it's an arc welder, but with a DC output. I was referring to your orig. Welder probs, Peewee, not the current toy😁 The initial "strike" current spike of your other, older, welders, appears to be your problem, and just a little high for your average 13 amp. Ring main, so, a dedicated supply of 16A upwards will sort it, Morrag.

Beware the Ides of March, But!
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2019, 02:29:25 AM »

the old transformer welders have an "inrush current" which like Morrag says is much higher then its rating by 2 to 3 times.
the inverter will be a smoother output and input. but less "tough" as the electronics wrangling the angry pixies arent as bullet proof as the transformers.
inverters can be ac/dc too.

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2019, 08:33:52 PM »

I always suspected there were pixies involved!
I used to be quite good at welding at one time & even went to night school with Mr Flap when we were building his trike cos he wanted to learn the ways of the weld. I haven't touched my own "Ol' Sparky" though since Loony & I finished the original build of my Pop, (I took a lot of parts home to Tanya's cottage & welded them in the garden shed).
I was starting to have trouble seeing the bead through the helmet & began to wear reading glasses soon after. Not sure I could weddle anything well these days!

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: