March 28, 2024, 06:39:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Back pain  (Read 2034 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: November 25, 2019, 09:03:38 AM »

Went to work this morning, but had to come home again after a couple of hours. My lower back, around my kidneys, is killing me. Don't know whether to stand up, sit down or lie flat -they all hurt. I seem to get this every 6 months or so. Too long bending over a workbench in a cold garage? Maybe. Or maybe it's just one of the joys of middle age Sad

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Archie

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 08:36:05 PM »

It knows the Christmas rounds are coming
minimutly

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 11:32:31 PM »

It's an age thing - I pulled a muscle in my back on Saturday night whilst reaming a valve guide in the lathe - just felt it go instantly. Had to pack up, go and lie down on the electric blanket. Better, but not right by today.
Age and lack of exercise I reckon.
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 08:36:04 AM »

I busted my back as a teenager while at work, spent months in a wheelchair 😱 and ive suffered with it ever since, it goes whenever it feels like it ( like today has I got out of bed) strange as it sounds but often you need to put an ice pack on the area, not heat..because the area is already inflamed and you need to cool it down? 

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 10:57:22 AM »

2nd day off work, but today would be my day off anyway.
Not as bad as yesterday, but still getting sharp twinges of pain when I move in certain directions.
I was concerned it could be kidney related as it's always around there, but it's probably just creeping middle age. Need to lose some weight & get more active.
Archie, the Christmas rush at Royal Mail started weeks ago. People are in full panicky online shopping mode already.

peewee

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 11:19:00 PM »

A couple of years ago I got it bad and was off work for 3 weeks.the thing is if it goes into space you can't do anything until the muscles relax.still get problems but touch wood not as bad.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 11:56:30 AM »

Just rung my manager & told him I'm taking the rest of the week off. When I'm sat still I feel fine -then I move &... Ouch!!!

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 08:54:47 PM »

You do need to keep moving though, the worst thing you can do for back pain is to keep still for too long.  (I'm a bit of an expert, been there, had that!).  You should take painkillers too, because back pain is a vicious circle.  The pain makes you tense, which in turn makes the muscles go into spasm, which causes more pain, etc.  Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory which is the best help but you can take paracetamol at the same time, I've been taking the maximum allowed dose of both for years (except my anti-inflam is stronger than ibuprofen).  It's much better to take pills to take the edge off the pain so you can keep moving, I suggest you tale to a pharmacist - I'd say the GP but I expect you'd have to wait for weeks for an appointment.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 11:37:05 PM »

I tried to get a cancellation at my doctors surgery & gave up after 2 days. The first appointment I could get was in 2 weeks time,  so I didn't bother with that either. Because the pain's been in my lower back, around my kidneys, a few people have suggested it could be a kidney infection, so I just wanted to get it checked to be safe, but to be honest, I think it's just from spending hours leant over the workbench in my garage.
I've never been sure if you should rest injuries or exercise them, but I normally walk 10 miles a day at work & haven't had any exercise at all this week, so today I went for a long walk, which seems to have helped.
My old landlady gets regular prescriptions of Paracetamol & has boxes & boxes of them, so I've been taking those, but have almost stopped them now. Just getting the occasional twinge, so hopefully I'll be back at work on Monday. I think I really am just getting old! Sad
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 12:41:28 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2019, 08:39:20 PM »

Should physiotherapy be advised, forget it, as the "privatised" physio's of todays NHS have never given me any long term solutions, although they are excellent form filler inners! maybe that's just me though. My cure for such things, swimming, every time. I swim twice or 3 times a week, have done for most of my life, when it's been at all possible,and it always helps the "tweeks" I get, so Mr. M, never mind Roller Derby's, get in the pool  Wink..Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2019, 12:43:41 PM »

Smiley I bought new roller boots a few weeks ago, but haven't had the time/energy/courage yet to try them. Think it'd be tempting fate to try at the moment!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: