April 26, 2024, 06:12:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Basingstoke motors  (Read 2327 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: August 21, 2019, 08:35:40 PM »

Just spotted this 60s Chevelle in the local supermarket on my way home from my lock-up. Don't recognise it. Maybe there's a new guy in town.
The main indoor shopping precinct was closed for a film crew on Sunday afternoon. It's rumoured they were shooting scenes for the next Fast n Furious film & were also at Greenham Common a few miles away, which has been used as a location for several films including one of the latest Star Wars sagas.
Top Gear filmed a car chase through the Basingstoke shopping centre a few years ago, between Clarkson & The Stig & caused some upset by ripping up floor tiles with their wheel spins.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 08:36:38 PM »

Archie

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 07:26:28 PM »

It’s car fest this weekend too over in Overton
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 08:08:42 PM »

Ahh, I'd forgotten that. That explains the various classics on the ring road this morning.
So the Fast n Furious rumour turned out to be false, but Top Gear are apparently filming in the area again, as well as Rogue Dealers -whatever that is.

https://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/news/17854943.top-gear-stars-spotted-filming-basingstoke-hotel/

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 07:32:51 AM »

Basingstoke Home to the Stars..whoda thought? 😅🎬📽😎

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 08:37:37 AM »

Smiley

JayJay

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 08:20:07 AM »

It’s car fest this weekend too over in Overton

We saw that advertised when we were travelling up to Wales. Wondered how big it was. Lots of signs about. Don't think I ever been. I won't say never because Rick would probably remind me that I have.

Andy, I love the Fast n Furious movies. Watched them all except the newest one. Came late to them but had a massive bingefest a couple of months ago as they were all being streamed on various providers. Some stunning cars in them. Also, so many cars get totalled especially loads of police cars.  Shocked  Loved Tokyo Drift but when you watch them together like that it's easy to get confused, as people die then appear again - not resurrected - just weird timings. It would have been a hoot to see a film with them racing down the streets of Basingstoke!  Grin

As for Star Wars, that's my next bingefest but I've read I should watch them in chronological order and not by year they premiered. I've never seen all the recent films. Anybody watched them all and is it worth it?

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 08:47:49 AM »

Basingstoke's got a circular ring road, running right around the town, all dual carriageway. If you were a film company & could afford to pay to close it for a couple of nights, it'd make a great car chase location. The local boy racers certainly seem to enjoy it anyway.
Car Fest is big. It's Chris Evans' (ex Radio 2 DJ) 's event, held at Laverstoke Park Farm near Overton, just outside Basingstoke, owned by 1979 Formula One World Champion, Jody Scheckter. It started as a purely car event, but is now also a bit of a music festival. Never been, but tickets are expensive I'm told & sell out really quickly.
I don't mind the occasional mindless car chase film, but prefer the classic 60s/70s ones. Modern cars just don't interest me very much. When I was in Tokyo a few months ago I thought I'd see a lot of Fast n Furious style performance cars, but there were actually loads of classic Yanks. I went to a Saturday night low rider meet -the guys with the big 60s Yank "land yachts" with dancing suspension. There were 300 or so, cruising the streets of downtown Tokyo. So-o-o cool.
Didn't get into Star Wars when it first came out, but have seen the original 3 & the latest couple. They had a few naff ones in the middle apparently, but I haven't seen those. When I was in New York back in June, I went on board the USS Intrepid -a 2nd World War aircraft carrier that's now an aircraft museum. Below decks, they have the USS Enterprise, one of the space shuttles. So I've seen a real space ship. Yes, I'm a bit of a Sci fi geek Smiley

JayJay

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 12:42:28 AM »

USS Intrepid -a 2nd World War aircraft carrier that's now an aircraft museum.

That's the one at pier 86 isn't it? If so, I've taken photos of it but never been on it. Didn't realise that about the shuttle.

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 07:59:54 AM »

Yup. I've got a Captain Kirk T shirt -very tempted to go back when I'm in New York again in a few weeks time, to get a selfie, wearing it in front of the USS Enterprise Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 08:00:36 AM »

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 08:02:21 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: