April 19, 2024, 09:09:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Xj650 midnight maxim rebuild  (Read 9251 times)
minimutly

« on: August 18, 2019, 06:49:45 PM »

Thought I might start a thread, even if the job is mostly done.
I bought this from a chap down Basingstoke way - he'd started  chopping it, cut off the back of the frame etc. Then lost interest, sold the carbs, footrests, headlamp, seat, sidepanels, rear mudguard, hamdlebars and controls.
I bought it for £110, with the intention of making it into a trike. But damn it all, I liked the look of what was left! So I spent a while collecting bits, including another XJ - this time a Seca. So that donated its bars and  controls, but that was it. So once I'd found some carbs - had to go for a set of Mikunis  from a 600, couldn't find any Hitachis, the engine fired up and ran sweet. Add all the other bits, including a seca rear wheel, and we have a nice bike(I think). One thing to note about the Mikunis, they are larger at the butterfly end, both inside and outside, so I had to machine the bodies down to fit the rubber inlet tubes
Currently the rear suspension is hagons (ebay), I made a tool to strip the springs off to test the shocks, really useful tool. I have ridden it, it rides beautifully for a 1980s bike.
Best of all, it probably hasn't cost me a fortune - I expect around £350 all in.
Looking forward to getting it on the road. Oh and, last weel I fired up the Seca that came on its side on a pallet - once the smoke cleared it was great.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 06:53:11 PM by minimutly » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 09:57:19 PM »

Photos as requested Sir.
Sorry, but the Seca shot's a different format, PNG, not JPEG), & the forum won't accept it.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
minimutly

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 11:02:08 PM »

Thanks Andy, I'll see if I can save the seca pics as something else. Oh and send a pic or two of the trike and the maxim as it is now.
Huw
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 06:11:45 AM »

Well at last something to look at  Grin

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
hydro

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 10:57:11 PM »

Windows "Paint" can open PNG's then you can click File, Save As then select JPEG
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 09:40:43 AM »

Give that a go Huw, then send 'em to me again Smiley

Sid_Vicious

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 04:19:01 PM »

The tool you made sounds interesting. So if you would be so kind to take a couple of pics of it and maybe a few messurments it would very helpful. The build sounds like you will have a nice bike when you finish it.

Nothing is impossible, It just take longer time to figure it out
minimutly

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 10:53:55 AM »

Morning monkeys.
I've sent a pic of the de-springer tool to Andy so hopefully he can resize and post for me.
Dimensions wise it's inch box, needs to be a bit longer than your longest shock. The tricky bit is making the spring locating bit - firstly it has to lock - you could do this by drilling and having a pin on a chain, but I just allowed enough rocking movement for it to lock as it was tensioned, and yes since I'm a lazy booga and didn't paint it the lock works fine. The other difficult bit was shaping it to suit the spring winding and diameter, took ages. Ideally I'd like to coat that bit in some kind of plastic/rubber stuff to prevent marking the springs, but with care I haven't found a problem yet.
Lastly it doesn't have a mount - it's designed to fit in the vice.
minimutly

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 12:00:18 PM »

Here we have it, courtesy of his mankyness
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 02:39:39 PM »

Smiley

minimutly

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 10:48:27 PM »

Andy missed this pic - can't get the staff these days.
Thanks mate
I dunno why I put the set in the lever that way - perhaps I made a mistake...
On another note, took the black maxim out for a spin today after rerouting the throttle and clutch cables.
It goes Ok, revs a bit in top gear, I was looking for 6th more than once. Rides and handles beautifully (I am comparing it with a trike, and a hard tail at that).
Still some work to finish, seat mounts, indicators, rear tail thingy and lights.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 10:53:19 PM by minimutly » Logged
Sid_Vicious

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2019, 04:02:05 PM »

Thank You Sir. Since I am norwegian and have to translate everything inside my head to understand the description of things it is very helpful with a picture. The tool looks great and I will probably copy some of your design when I am gonna refurbish some of my shocks.

Nothing is impossible, It just take longer time to figure it out
minimutly

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2019, 07:19:03 PM »

It's a mark1, but works well - spring off in 20 seconds or less. Better than ratchet strap roulette
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 08:47:19 PM »

I was confused because you said  a despringer tool?  And I was thinking no way will that work on my front end?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
minimutly

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2019, 10:38:11 PM »

Maybe I should have taken a pic with a rear shock in there  Wink
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: