April 28, 2024, 11:56:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Warning symbol by MMM URL  (Read 1615 times)
JayJay

« on: September 07, 2019, 10:40:49 AM »

Hi
Has anybody noticed a circle with an i inside or a red triangle with a ! at the top of each MMM page (by the URL)? I am looking at MMM on an android device via Google Chrome. I don't think it's always been like it but I know it has definitely been there for most of this year. Obviously it's to do with security certificates but whether something has changed in Chrome and it is now highlighting the lack of security, because of course most straightforward info/forum websites never had them.

The definition for the circle is:
==============================
Info or Not secure
The site isn't using a private connection. Someone might be able to see or change the information that you send or get through this site.

The definition for the triangle is:
Don't enter any private or personal information on this page. If possible, don't use the site.

Not secure: Proceed with caution. Something is severely wrong with the privacy of this site’s connection. Someone might be able to see the information you send or get through this site.
You might see a 'Login not secure'.

JJ - and this, which has never happened

Dangerous: Avoid this site. If you see a full-page red warning screen, the site has been flagged as unsafe by Safe Browsing. Using the site will be likely to put your private information at risk.

I don't enter anything worth hacking as even my password is never used anywhere else but I do wonder whether the site could work as a conduit to the rest of our stuff. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has noticed. Also Andy, how do people join? People still do so how are they doing it? I can't find a link anywhere. I can't even remember how I joined!  Huh  Is that data secure? Anyway as you can probably see from all my posts I've had a night of insomnia. I even saw dr big750 log on. I bet he's having his tea about now!  Cheesy

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 10:07:46 PM »

Haven't seen anything like that on my laptop (Firefox) but there is the red triangle on my Android phone but I never use that for forums anyway.  It just says that the site cannot be verified (whatever that means) and when I go deeper it says the connection is not encrypted.   I think it's pretty much the same as I get on my old W7 PC on quite a lot of sites that don't have the https (secure) prefix.  I think as long as you use a different password for each site you actually log into, you're pretty much ok.
That's my take on what I've read, half of which I didn't understand, but I think that's the gist of it.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 08:25:24 AM »

We run on a very outdated programme here, which presumably has less security than the latest set-ups.
To my knowledge, the only problem we've had in... 14 years -has it been that long? Wow, was the virus that was introduced a few years ago through a fake membership application, with malware hidden in the avatar photo.
It infected every photo that was viewed on the site & very nearly shut us down for good. It only affected the site itself though -didn't affect anybody's computers. It's the reason the main site was temporarily locked down, but as you know, that's drifted on for a few years now.
My plan was to get my truck finished & signwritten with the website name, then use that signwriting as the new logo for a rebuilt website. Unfortunately Simon Pollock, the signwriter & website designer, died a month ago, so the plan's on hold till I get the truck roadworthy again & I can find someone else.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: