March 28, 2024, 03:12:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Yamaha vmax 1200 trike....  (Read 15722 times)
the coppersmith

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2020, 12:18:36 PM »

Andy can you recall where this loom came from? I’m just about ready to tackle the wiggly wires 😱
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2020, 02:04:41 PM »

It's American made. A company called Haywire.
I bought mine from Miles Sherlock at Jackhammer hotrod shop in Farnborough, Hants.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 02:07:41 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
minimutly

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2020, 10:17:56 PM »

Never made the mot test. Still need a m10 by 80mm bolt anda couple of captive nuts cutting out and replacing on the bolt in crossmember behind the exhausts, which means taking them off, dropping the water out again....
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2020, 10:11:21 AM »

Bugger. Annoying, but not a major problem then.
At least there's no pressure to have it ready for the show season at the moment though Smiley

minimutly

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2020, 09:28:36 PM »

No, but I could use it for shopping....
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2020, 09:34:07 PM »

Smiley

minimutly

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2020, 02:53:10 PM »

Did I share the findings of the inverter "failure" and fix? Perhaps not. Well here it is. After much looking I found a 240v 3 phase output inverter. I also did some research which told me this would run my miller if I fixed the voltage and reduced the frequency. I also meggered out the motor and the forward reverse circuit buried inside the 1950s Fritz Werner miller. Well what do you think - motor fine, control wiring pooped. So all along I was blaming my inverter (and not just this one, but the one before as well) when it was the machine wiring with the issue.
So yesterday I put the 240 in 500v out inverter back together (its a Parker SSD embedded in some diode doubling trickery). Refitted it, stood back and away it went...
Next job was to try it on the Atlas Copco vtwin silent compressor - full tank in less than a minute - if anything it's too fast (i think), but without a rev counter or my meter to check Hz I can't be sure. The plan is to set the Hz, check the ac voltage and see what it is. I suspect a 50 Hz it will be high 500s, which isn't good, but there is no way to reduce it that I can see. I could of course swap the motor to star connections, especially given the ends are outside in the control box anyway. Hmmmm....
Oh, trike still waiting me to spend another afternoon under the front wheel, and my back is killing me again.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 02:55:58 PM by minimutly » Logged
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2020, 07:32:35 PM »

Sounds wonderfully interesting and amazing but I haven't got a clue what your on about? 🤣😎

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
minimutly

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2020, 09:05:16 PM »

Yeah Ok, I'll stop - it's a bit of a long saga anyway. Trike wise, has anyone got one of those Hewland reversing gearboxes for sale- you know, the yellow ones? The vmax is bloomin heavy to push.
And finally, bike wise, l have decided to ditch the cheap chinese pod filters on my pre div xj650 and fit an xj600 airbox - it fits my carbs, might fit in the frame and is a lot bigger and nicer than the 650 one. Only problem is it might be engine out to fit it. Scrub that - it IS engine out to fit it...
Donut

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2020, 08:47:16 AM »

Oh me Minimutly I hang my head in shame apologies for not getting back. Everything hit the fan at the same time then Covid19 and I got stuck abroad etc etc. Glad you are making progress and it looks damn good so far. You are now making me think about triking my Vmax now!!
minimutly

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2020, 08:32:23 PM »

It is one hairy trike ride, I think I did the right thing keeping normal and forward controls. The spung rear end just works, means I don't dodge road imperfections  any more.
Don't worry about not getting back - life is a bit chaotic right now.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 08:34:06 PM by minimutly » Logged
minimutly

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2020, 10:35:57 PM »

Bits getting done on this - still not mot'd it though.
New front tyre fitted (old one cracked), this week I decided to move the mudguard bracket because it was pulling the handbrake cable to one side, which was giving me a long brake pedal. Also to move the mudguards in by 18mm, in the past it looks like someone replaced the wheels with more insety ones. In doing this I found the mother and father of all brackets - solid steel 15mm rods, steel 40mm by 6mm bar, the thing weighed a ton. So I invested in some holes, and made a load of thick 24mm washers. It's back on tonight but really, too hot to work.
Other job on half is to remove the front crossmember to weld in a pair of captive nuts - the original engine mountings weren't doing anything but looking good. The crossmember is welded, painted and back on, still need to fit the mounts one side and both exhausts. Oh, I changed the oil filter while it was off.
Busy but no cigar...
minimutly

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2020, 10:18:16 PM »

Mot and tax today - yay. Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2020, 10:25:17 AM »

Passed?

minimutly

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2020, 12:47:16 PM »

Passed and now taxed - £51 if I recall. Woohoo I think the term is, but strangely I'm,not feeling it. Will use it as the rules allow.
 I have a raft of plans for it over the winter - replace and reposition the unbelievably loud Harley sidepipes, fit a leading link front end maybe with bigger front wheel, fit some sort of reverse gearbox, improved seats, second fuel tank (part of the reason to move the "silencers", move and lighten the mudguards, the brackets are unbelievably heavy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: