March 28, 2024, 02:17:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Yamaha vmax 1200 trike....  (Read 15719 times)
triker_Chewie

west aussie dreamer

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2019, 12:58:16 AM »

thats one of my endless issues
to fix the the thing i need to fix the thing that fixes the thing

I hate when people compare Lemmy with God, i know he is great but he is not gonna be Lemmy, ever

If your Dad hasnt got a beard, you've got two Mums

Quote from: Manky Monkey
there's no point it lookin' pretty if we can't drive it. 
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2019, 01:50:23 PM »

Grin

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
minimutly

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2019, 04:39:44 PM »

Well, the option would be to pay someone to do the work - where's the fun in that.
Just paid for the std footpegs and barake lever - the trike was fitted with forward controls - no good at all on the twisties of West Wales. I found out long ago that it was safest allways to be on the inside of the trike while cornering - any tightening curves, going a bit hot would be downright ring tightening if you weren't.
I plan on adding a long range tank, and keeping the forward controlls for trips allong the m4...
Donut

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2020, 01:16:42 AM »

I have 80% of a Vmax that I am away to sell if your interested?
minimutly

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2020, 03:08:52 PM »

Maybe, pm me with what you have, mileage, what you want for it, and where you are?
minimutly

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2020, 10:47:35 PM »

You never pm'd me donut?
Anyway, after replacing the two rear liners on the v4 and skimming both banks flat, finally got 'round to looking for replacement shell bearings for the crank etc.
Well would you believe it - I must have been blind or drunk when I inspected it - the crank is boogared, 3 thou of wear on the end bearings...
So I bought a replacement engine, fingers crossed etc. Sure I may still fix and refit the original engine, but the summer is coming, will need to go shopping etc...
So far I have fitted the ebay engine, found a bolt loose in the generator cover, dropped the sump, fixed the oil pipe issue, checked the valve clearances, changed the flywheel and starter clutch. It runs, quite well I think, the seller removed the water elbow so it leaks water, he removed the driveshaft uj, so it's tight after me fitting mine. I've remade the forward controls to dual, the work really well, but the pedal is pants.
Happy to send pics to the ever helpful Andy, I've given up trying to post direct.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2020, 07:17:26 AM »

I'll PM you my email address matey.
We can only post JPEG format here, about 600 x 600.

minimutly

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2020, 09:19:29 PM »

Your memory must be failing you Andy, you've done this for me before! But then you have so many children to look after, some of us a bit thick.

Anyway, today was a good day, actually rode the vmax for the first time - I can see why owners rave about them! Still some more dressing to do, brakes need improving. The irs doesn't seem to detract from the handling, other than maybe making it turn even harder. I'll have arms like a gorilla if I don't sort that out - leading link front end on the cards for next year...
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2020, 04:48:02 PM »

Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2020, 04:49:41 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2020, 04:50:05 PM »

minimutly

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2020, 11:39:38 PM »

All thanks to Andy for resizing these, you are a star.
Nothing done on it today, time for a workshop clearout, and maybe tomorrow night make a new welding bench!
minimutly

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2020, 09:20:28 AM »

Progressas been slow on this - but it is progress. Carbs been off, one of the inlet boots hadn't seated properly, so it explains why I had difficulty fitting the filter box cover. The reason for removing them was the mixture screw on No3 had seized. Well I tried, failed and for now have given up - i'll need to look for another body, and if I'd persisted its likely I'd be looking for another body now...
So, rear brakes to sort, couple of engine mountings, then mot test time - if I can get a test booked.

Note for @morrag - hope you're doing OK both.
minimutly

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2020, 11:54:22 PM »

Replaced the carbs and test run - it was fine, but didn't check balance. Removed all the wiring gubbins under the headstock - loads of plugs and sockets to go through and check. Got my clutch switch working, found that the load sensor/ map sensor was duff.
So it's back together for now, managed to work out how the hazard lights work, needed to fit a blinker relay.
Managed to bleed some air out of the rear callipers which has made the brakes work ok, still a touch long pedal, but we'll see once I put some miles on it.
Last job before mot is the engine mounts and side stiffening bars, fingers crossed for this week.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2020, 06:22:28 AM »

Good work!
I've got a wiring kit for my truck -all the necessary relays & fuses on a pre-made board & each wire colour coded & of the right ampage rating, with it's name printed on the wire -left indicator live, left indicator earth etc. Cost 150 quid.
I'm still not going to attempt wiring it myself though! Electrics mean absolutely nothing to me.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: