March 28, 2024, 03:37:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Yamaha vmax 1200 trike....  (Read 15723 times)
minimutly

« on: July 31, 2019, 11:32:58 PM »

Well it's home. Pulled the plugs - 3 dry 1 wet. I did a cylinder leakage check, the oily one (no1) made 10% efficiency, cyl 2 made 90%, the other 2 arond 50%.
So it's boogad. Not sure at the mo whether to buy a motor or rebuild?
Pics will be up once I speak to our web hoster.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 09:11:20 PM »

How much is a replacement head?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
minimutly

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 08:15:40 AM »

Well here's the conundrum - it needs new pistons at least (all thme leakage is past them ). It might need sleeves. Which is a major stripdown.
So I' thinking a replacement engine for now, then maybe strip this one.
Bah
minimutly

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 08:50:03 PM »

Engine in bits, two liners stuffed, plus pistons. I'm currently assembing a hydraulic puller to  extract the liners, 10T should do it?
If replacing the liners fails it's a replacement engine. Gearbox etc is good, so fingers crossed.
minimutly

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 08:10:43 PM »

Quick update on this - the damaged liners came out by running a die grinder up each one, and a block of wood and three taps each later they were out.
I've bough a used top half for the liners, so waiting for it to turn up.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 08:27:04 PM »

So not quite the end for that motor yet then. Smiley

minimutly

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 10:13:09 PM »

A Used top casing with four good liners in it has turned up finally. Tomorrow I'll finish rigging up the hydraulic puller to extract a couple of them, if all is well and goes to plan by tomorrow afternoon I'll have a usable block again. Then a quick list of any bits I need to rebuild, order and then clean and rebuild.
Still a long way to go - I haven't spent any time or money on these bits just in case the liner swap failed miserably, but I am optimistic it will come off. Bearing shells, timing chains and tensioners, clutch, seals, coolant inserts (in the heads) are all to be assessed. I know, it would be cheaper to get a used engine, but that's a risk in itself.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 09:03:55 AM »

I admire your patience Sir -I'd have thrown a tantrum & hit it with a hammer by now!

minimutly

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 02:51:15 PM »

Hah, maybe, but I haven't spent howmany years? Building then rebuilding a v8 pickup, so don't do yourself down.
All 4 liners are out, the homemade contraption to hold the 10 ton hydraulic puller did the trick, even with boiling water they all came with a bang, 4 year old grandson on the pump, me on the boiling water.
I've run a hone up and down the 3 best ones, will warm the block up later and attempt to bang them in - fingers crossed.
minimutly

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 09:16:55 PM »

Well you live and learn. The vmax liners are finish machined in the block - that is they're honed and surface machined at the top.
Finish honing shouldn't be an issue - ive measured up the block and except for the bottom 1/4 it's round and parallel, the issue is the tops. The liners are "top hat" liners, meaning they're held by a wide bit at the top, the trouble is they will stick out of my block by 9 thou or so. I measured the ones I removed, they're not even consistent around the circumference - one of them varies by 3 thou.
So, I'm going to have to make a jig to mount the v4 block in the miller, set the whole lot level and true, and fingers crossed run a flycutter across the top of the rear pair. Bugger.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 11:33:56 AM »

At least it sounds like you know how to sort it, even if it's bit of a pain!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2019, 03:38:15 PM »

Any more progress Mr Mutt?

minimutly

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2019, 06:33:30 PM »

Tried to look for a mount to machine the tops - the problem is it's a big old casting, and has to be tilted at 70 degrees, so it needs to be 6 inches or so off the deck. Current favourite is an old k series  head with a pair f 70 degree slopes cut into it.
minimutly

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2019, 10:32:49 PM »

The saga continues, the inverter running my miller has gone poof while machining an inverted "v" onto the face of the k series head...
Currently looking at a new inverter.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2019, 01:58:37 AM »

Don't you just love this hobby Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: