March 29, 2024, 02:53:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: D Day memorial flight  (Read 1218 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: June 02, 2019, 08:30:43 PM »

I was in Norfolk today & by pure chance was driving home down the M11, past Duxford at 4pm. I could see a group of large planes circling around ahead of me -I've seen the Dakota memorial flight on the News this week, but no, it couldn't be could it? At the very moment I pass by?
Yup -one by one, they all came in to land, really low, right over the motorway.
Oh, you big, beautiful birds!
Obviously I couldn't photograph them, but what a fabulous sight. A couple in Army green, several in grey with white D Day stripe markings, & last one in was in civilian airline colours, white & silver by the look of it.
Made my day & made me grin all the way back to Hampshire.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 08:48:19 PM »

We saw a couple of four engined planes going over the other day, heard them coming first!  Mike said they were C31 (I think) transport planes.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 08:53:27 PM »

Sorry too sound blase  but l live next to HURN airport  and thankfully see lots of great types of planes every day 😎👍

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 09:00:44 PM »

We often see a C31 that takes marines out to parachute over the harbour and get puicked up by fast boats - great fun to watch if you're down the beach at the right time - but these two going over in quite close formation was different!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 10:06:50 PM »

Popham airfield, just outside Basingstoke, gets a lot of biplanes & Spitfires visiting. It was also the last place I saw the Vulcan bomber fly over on it's tour of Britain before it was decommissioned.
The Orient Express steam train passes through here about once a month too.

https://youtu.be/8WFrSAvdCZE

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: