March 28, 2024, 12:54:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: hotrod build  (Read 3590 times)
little kwaka

« on: May 23, 2019, 04:00:19 PM »

hi folks, so im building a hotrod,,, ive got a few bits together 3.9 rover v8 auto,, going to be fed via a webber dgas carb,,,, triumph spitfire rolling chassis and all steel 34 model y body,,,,my question is,, has anybody on here run a v8 through the stock spitfire rear axle

thanks in advanvce for replies / advise,,, ps wont be for dragway use or doing doughnuts

cheers
tony
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 05:22:32 PM »

Are you running an auto box? And I'm assuming your building this to BIVA specs?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 05:53:47 PM »

Hello Tony -& welcome.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 08:26:42 PM »

O.K, I've checked with Kev, (Kapri), our resident registration expert. He says you'll need to re-register the vehicle once it's built as it won't have enough original components to qualify as a simple re-body under the 8 point rule -unless you do it before you change the engine & gearbox.
Unfortunately he also says the Spitfire diffs are notoriously weak & will "grenade into a million bits" if you hook it up to a V8.
So, to be legal, you'd need to register it with DVLA as a re-bodied original Spitfire first, then swap the motor once you've got the updated paperwork, (they'll probably want to inspect it). It's perfectly legal to modify a vehicle once it's registered, but remember you can add body mounting brackets to the Spitfire chassis, but can't remove anything.
I've got a 3.5 Rover with a 3.9 cam in my Ford Pop. It uses a 2 litre Sherpa van rear axle, which has roughly the right gearing for the tall cross-ply tyres I'm using.

little kwaka

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 08:15:44 AM »

thanks for the replies guys
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 10:31:36 AM »

Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: