March 28, 2024, 02:37:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  
Author Topic: Turning Japanese  (Read 13328 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2019, 09:08:01 AM »

A guard house for the Imperial Palace.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2019, 09:08:31 AM »

The moat surrounding the Palace.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2019, 09:13:13 AM »

I loved Japan. So many different sides to it. A very clean, safe city, bustling with life.
Young Lunatic will be 40 years old in 3 years time & wants to go there. I'll be 60 exactly a month later, so we've said we'll go back for a joint birthday trip. Can't wait Smiley

JayJay

« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2019, 10:46:19 PM »

Great photos. Some fantastic cars. Glad you had such a good time. Hard to know when you go somewhere new. I am surprised it was so safe as you tend to think of the Yakuza in Japan. Safety sure makes a visit more enjoyable though.  Smiley

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2019, 08:49:20 AM »

I've no idea what that is -maybe blissful ignorance is the way to do it. If you worried about everything you'd never go anywhere.

JayJay

« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2019, 01:03:55 AM »

I've no idea what that is -maybe blissful ignorance is the way to do it. If you worried about everything you'd never go anywhere.

Japanese organized crime.

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2019, 08:23:53 AM »

Apparently Tokyo has almost zero crime.
Maybe at a higher level than the average tourist would see. In a week, I saw maybe 2 Police cars. Lots of little guys in various uniforms, directing traffic & pedestrians, but didn't notice any Police.
The lowriders car meet I went to filled a circuit of streets on the outskirts of Shibuya & was still going strong at 2 in the morning, with cars cruising around, hopping & scraping with music pumping -not a single Policeman. It's all very civilised.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2019, 07:35:23 PM »

Chatting to Loony, Archie & Tom at Archie's chilli & film night last night, ("Netflix & Chilli"), about my recent visit to Tokyo, one of the most challenging but amusing parts of the whole trip was trying to describe where I wanted to go to taxi drivers when we spoke completely different languages.
I had no phone signal, so couldn't use Google Maps or a translator app' & had tried taking screenshots of addresses while I had the use of wi-fi in the hotel or just writing the address down, but apparently the Japanese write them in a different format, starting at the most general area & narrowing it down to an individual building -so county or province, then street, then house number, then name -which is a more logical method than ours I guess.
They were able to pick out bits of the address, but it still caused a lot of confusion & several times I was left in the back of a taxi while the driver took my phone to show the screenshot to a local.
"Can you take me to Tokyo Zoo please".
...blank look.
"Zoo" -ahh, obviously the Japanese word for zoo sounds nothing like the English one & you can't read English & I can't write Japanese. Just saying "Zoo" slowly & clearly isn't going to help us is it.
How do you communicate that? I may be 6,000 miles from home & never likely to meet this guy again, but I refuse to try & mime zoo animals to him. I'm just too British for that. Maybe I'll just go shopping instead.
"Zoo -I'd like to see the Giant Pandas".
Aha! That worked. Seems "Panda" is common to both languages. He grins & mimes the dark rings around a Panda's eyes at me.
"Yes". Yes, take me to the bears with binoculars.
Even if that's not a zoo, it'll be worth seeing.
And off we go.
Yeah, I'm totally rockin' this travel thing Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
  Print  

Jump to: