April 18, 2024, 04:14:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Something for the weekend  (Read 1116 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: March 12, 2019, 04:38:24 PM »

Well that was a busy weekend.
A round trip of 550 miles.
Drove from Hampshire over to Lincolnshire on Saturday morning to see a man about making a fuel tank for my Pop.
Then from there up the East coast to Yorkshire to see another man & collect a steering box, column & wheel.
It was my weekend off & I didn't have to be at work again until Tuesday, so I decided to make a proper trip of it & booked 2 nights in a hotel in Whitby, Yorkshire.
On the way there I stopped off at a steam railway yard in Grosmont to have a mooch around the engine sheds & sidings, & a slice of cake in their station cafe.
Booked into the hotel then walked a mile down the hill into Whitby for a very pleasant restaurant meal.
Spent Sunday exploring Whitby, walking on the beach & along the cliff path as well as visiting the abbey ruins. Bumped into someone I know!
Ruined all the exercise by indulging in another large meal in the same restaurant before walking back up the hill to wallow in a steamy hot bath while listening to a 3 hour funk & soul show on the radio in my hotel room. Bliss!
Checked out this morning & drove back across the North Yorkshire Moors in glorious sunshine, but ended up taking several detours, stopping in Pickering to wander around the castle & another steam railway station, then a few miles further on, a World War 2 prisoner of war camp museum & finally stopping at Castle Howard, a stunning stately home near York to stroll around the grounds.
I'm now safely home after a lovely weekend, refreshed & ready to face the rest of the week at work. Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
JayJay

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 01:32:49 AM »

Very busy. Don't know how you packed it all in. Nice to have a break though. You also seem to have the knack of bumping into people you know.  Smiley

Funny you mentioning Whitby. I have started having my shopping via Ocado after the offer of lots of money off and free delivery for the year. Anyway, looking to buy fish I come across some white fish by a company called Whitby Seafoods. I thought great, until I read the blurb to see what the white fish was and I found it was a fish from 6000 miles away in Vietnam!  Shocked  My vision of fresh fish being pulled ashore in Whitby went completely out the window. I hope if you had fish in your meals, that it at least came from close to where you were staying.  Smiley

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 09:43:57 AM »

Smiley I stayed at Penny Hedge hotel, which one of those Premier Inn style places with a restaurant attached. I walked down into the town each evening though & ate in a very nice fish restaurant alongside the quay.
I'd like to think it came straight from the fishing boat to the table, but maybe not Smiley

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 05:51:39 PM »

Makes it taste better if you just think it does though!  ( 'Umans is odd! )

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 07:17:15 PM »

Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: