April 26, 2024, 07:59:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: It's the end of the World -again  (Read 2800 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: February 01, 2019, 06:28:47 PM »

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/757222/basingstoke-hospital-snow-cars-abandoned-uk-weather-forecast

First day of snow this Winter & Basingstoke grinds to a halt again. I'm safely at home, but apparently it's a repeat of the infamous 2010 snow day, with cars abandoned everywhere, ambulances having to be pushed & commuters taking hours to travel a few hundred yards.
I'm on holiday this week, but my fellow Posties were sent home without pay today.
Basingstoke sits in a dip, so we always seem to struggle when the weather's bad.
Hurry up Spring!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 06:33:06 PM »

Just watching the reports about Basingstoke on TV - apparently there was a big dump this afternoon!   Wasn't you was it?

Grin

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Olds

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 07:27:48 PM »

apparently there was a big dump this afternoon!   Wasn't you was it?
 Grin

Grin Grin Grin
The local One-Stop has been virtually stripped by folk panic buying. Happens every time it snows.
Woke up to about 3" of snow and it didn't really stop in Oakley all day.  Now it's between 6" and 8" deep.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 07:32:24 PM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 08:00:46 PM »

We do seem to get badly hit every time.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 10:19:52 PM »

A snow plough passing the end of my road about 10 minutes ago.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 10:22:01 PM »

And a few comments on Big Darren's FaceBook page:

Took me three hours from Houndmills to Chineham, (about 2 miles). Take it steady

I got stuck at Dialysis in Edison Road along with 30 odd other patients...patient transport were royally f*cked all day having to go between Southampton and London. 1 Patient is still stuck there poor f*cker since 1pm 😒

Mate, it took me 4 hours from the M3 slip road to Chineham -2 lorries had jack-knifed

There’s a video on "Spotted" where a group of people ended up getting out of their cars etc to push an ambulance through and over Brighton Hill roundabout after being stuck for over half an hour while answering an emergency call...it’s crazy

It took Darren 5 1/2 hours to get home across town.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 06:35:07 PM »

This is the B/stoke War Memorial Park this morning -where the transport festival's held. It's about 8" deep in snow.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 06:35:30 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 06:36:47 PM »

Jane Austen, (she was a B/stoke lass), in the town centre, wishing she'd worn an extra pair of socks.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 06:37:32 PM »

It's big coat weather for us softie Southerners.

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 10:13:43 PM »

You know, I hate to show my age! but back in the day when I was a very young tradesman, working a 3 shift pattern, if it snowed....it snowed! and it was very much my problem, as, if I couldn't get into work, a) I didn't get paid, & b) the guy I was relieving had to stay and cover, so, I carried a spade, chains, old carpet etc. etc. in my boot, at the first sign of the white stuff, I have even ridden my trials bike in on one occasion, cross the fields, really Shocked.. but you got there, now......alright, put the bloody violins away, I'm off.... Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

Beware the Ides of March, But!
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 10:40:23 PM »

Know what you mean Morrag - when I worked on a farm I can remember setting out to walk 2½ miles in the snow to get to work on the farm cos the cows had to be milked whatever the weather did, and my boss had arthritis and couldn't do it.  Was I glad when I met him coming to get me on the tractor!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 05:08:46 PM by BikerGran » Logged

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
JayJay

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 02:24:29 AM »

I hadn't realised it had been that deep with you Andy. About 2"-3" here and that had pretty gone by Friday. I find it annoying that parents get told off for not sending their children to school but as soon as there is a snow flurry the schools get closed and sod the children's education. Twas not like that in my school days. The more snow the more fun.  Cheesy

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
merv

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 08:57:31 AM »

Totally agree with you JJ, back in the day we had snow that was deep and lasted days or longer and we still got sent to school regardless.

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 10:03:58 AM »

The view from my bedroom window this morning.

Some of us still work outside in it Smiley)
I've been on holiday for a week, but will be back out there, walking 10 miles, delivering the Mail in it tomorrow -no deliveries for 2 days, so I'll be going back to 3 days worth of Mail.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: