March 28, 2024, 12:42:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Rollin' rollin,' rollin'  (Read 11277 times)
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2019, 10:13:34 PM »

You're bloody bonkers, you know that?   Keep being bonkers though, it's better than being old!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Olds

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2019, 05:40:10 AM »

You're bloody bonkers, you know that?   Keep being bonkers though, it's better than being old!
Agreed. Smiley Keep at it Andy.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2019, 06:38:50 PM »

I'm calling it a sports injury -which makes me an athlete Smiley
I'm determined to master it. At 5 quid for an hour's session, (which goes really fast), I'd quite happily keep going back every week forever. The couple that organise it also run a 5 hour roller disco evening every couple of weeks at the big sports centre in the middle of Guildford. That's also just a fiver, but there's no way I could inflict myself on real skaters yet.
I'm heading back to New York in June for my 4th visit in 2 years. There's a funky roller disco in the middle of Central Park every Sunday evening. No, I absolutely wouldn't be tempted! -but I'd love to be able to just gently skate through the park.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 08:00:01 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2019, 08:35:24 PM »

Gently skating through the park is probably not that far from possible - not much changing direction except gently, not needing to stop very often!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2019, 09:47:45 PM »

Apart from avoiding the horse drawn carriages, & pedal powered rickshaws, & joggers, & skate boarders, & cops with guns, & other skaters Smiley

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2019, 11:34:49 AM »

Ah.........

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2019, 07:30:30 PM »

New shoes!
Well, roller boots anyway.
I've been going to beginners roller skating sessions for 5 or 6 weeks now, having reached 57 years old without ever having so much as put on a skate before. I can now kinda stride in a straight line & eventually snow plough to a halt, but more complicated manouvres, like cornering, are still beyond me.
I'm determined to get this though. I'll learn if it kills me -which is a distinct possibility.
Heather & Pete of Disco Skate Events in Surrey have leant me a pair of boots so I can practice at home, but today I visited Oli's Skate Shop in Ferndown, Dorset to buy a pair of my own.
They only sell online, so were kinda surprised when some idiot turned up at their house this morning -well, it was the address on their Google advert, but invited me in & took the time to discuss what was best for me, (no, giving up wasn't suggested, though they did ask if the guy who encouraged me to start was genuinely trying to kill me. After trying on a few makes & styles, I settled for these. 50 quid a pair. They're called Mayhem, which seemed appropriate.
Much lighter & more flexible than the "Bahuer" style rigid plastic boots I've been using -part of the reason for buying my own at this stage was that I didn't want to get used to the heavier ones then have to change at a later date. I was concerned a less rigid boot would make me more prone to going over sideways & breaking an ankle, (not good when I walk for a living), but I was assured that isn't the case.
The bearings are brand new so they roll a lot easier than the previous ones -maybe a little too easily as just standing still & breathing, I find myself rocking several inches back & forth.
I had a quick practice in them in the garage this evening & they feel completely different.
Has my skating magically improved?
Harr, ha, ha!! ....no.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2019, 07:32:18 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2019, 09:44:27 PM »

The new boots feel so different. Although, as Heather the session organiser pointed out, the wheels are tightened until they hardly spin at all, they just seem to roll so much faster.
2 falls.
One when I rolled to a halt facing the wall & I think I rolled backwards -wheels went from under me & I virtually slid face first down the brickwork.
Second was more dramatic -lots of very young kids there tonight, scattering frisbees, cones, foam sticks & footballs everywhere. The end of the hall was littered with stuff. While negotiating it & planning to stop against the wall, I think I did the same thing again -slight roll backwards, over correct, face first on the deck. Unfortunately there was a wooden bench between me & the floor & in trying to avoid smacking my face into the corner of it, I hit it hard with the wrist I hurt last time, as well as smacking the floor with my ankle.
I'll live but think I'm going to be limping in the morning. The wrist is really tender -again, but hopefully nothing broken.
I refuse to let this beat me! When I'm striding, I'm O.K & I'm gradually improving the cornering, but seem to have lost the ability to stop in the new boots.
Might forego the garage practice for a few days while I heal up & am tempted to miss next week's session in case I do enough damage to stop me going on holiday the following week, but really don't want to -don't want to end up scared to get back up & try again.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2019, 06:52:03 AM »

Well that's me off work for a couple of days. We walk an average of 10 miles a day at the Post Office & I can't even get my shoe on this morning. S-o painful. Don't think I've broken anything cos I've still got full movement & neither my wrist or ankle are swollen, but they bloomin' hurt!
Why the hell am I doing this?!

Olds

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2019, 07:34:15 AM »

I really would give next weeks skating a miss. Even if you don't break something, being on a plane with an injury, is no fun at all !!!

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2019, 07:25:25 PM »

Yeah, I thought the same Dave.
It's just a hobby -not worth ruining the trip for.
If I have too many absences from work I'll lose my job, so any more big falls & I'd have to give up, but I would really like to achieve this.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2019, 09:45:15 PM »

Phoned in sick at 6.0 clock this morning.
Received a warning letter about my absence at 10.

Archie

« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2019, 08:37:02 AM »

Phoned in sick at 6.0 clock this morning.
Received a warning letter about my absence at 10.

Fckers

Get yourself a doctors note and tell em to stick their warning
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2019, 11:58:55 AM »

32 years in the job.
I've worked there literally since before most of my managers were born.
You're allowed 7 days without a doctor's certificate. It's my day off on Wednesday so, having received that letter, I'm tempted to stay off until Thursday now.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: