April 19, 2024, 06:45:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Rollin' rollin,' rollin'  (Read 11368 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2019, 03:35:35 PM »

Smiley The ones I'm using are more like ski boots. Rigid plastic with a removable fleece liner. The pair I wore last week had 3 adjustable snap clasps. This week's had laces.
As I'm a wobbly beginner, the organisers tightened up the wheel bearings a bit so they didn't free wheel quite so much, not that you could notice it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 03:41:10 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2019, 04:36:00 PM »

The Central Park dance skaters I saw back in the Summer.

https://youtu.be/mwTSlJfouiA

JayJay

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2019, 02:27:44 AM »

Jay Jay
Butlins by the sea at Bognor Regis! Me too! ...

The rink in the picture, which I see is from Skegness, seems much bigger than the Bognor one unless it is the angle of the photo or something.

Those skates are very similar to the ones I had when I was about 8 or 9 yrs old and let's face it, there is not much  holding your foot in place. My older Brother took me to the top of a long steep hill near my Grans and gave me a push while I was wearing them. I still have the scar to prove it. It was a wonder I didn't break something or worse.

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2019, 10:25:42 PM »

Week 3.
Still upright.

Tony oily bike

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2019, 09:20:25 AM »

Reckon you took a change of clothing on the first week and had various photos taken to make us think you’re still upright!  Grin

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2019, 01:14:58 PM »

Very fast shutter speed to capture the shot before I fell flat on my face!
It's hard work, but I think I am actually getting ever so slightly better each time. These beginners sessions in Ash Vale are just an hour a week for 4 weeks, then they're somewhere else -Haslemere I think, then back at Ash Vale again. The organisers, Heather & Pete of Disco Skate Events
https://discoskate.co.uk/
also arrange roller discos every week at the Guildford Spectrum sports centre. There's no way I'd inflict myself on proper skaters, but I really want to keep at it, so will continue these sessions as long as I can.
I was the only adult again this week, among a sea of super confident 7 year olds. They were playing basketball & running egg & spoon races in skates. I was too busy concentrating on staying on my wheels.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 03:54:08 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2019, 11:22:45 PM »

Man down, man down!
Last of the 4 weekly beginners skating sessions this evening & I blew my perfect score of no falls Sad
Mr Simon Nefarious Pollock -the dastardly fiend who talked me into this self torture, arrived to check on my progress. It's his birthday today so he brought sticky buns -not easy to eat when you're wearing wrist guards, but thank you -& happy birthday mate Smiley
Having consumed his commestibles, he then proved that he can skate & I can't, gliding effortlessly around the hall as I stumbled after him. Yes, I'm still struggling with the whole balance/confidence thing, but I'm getting there, very, very slowly & I'm not going to give up. Si's been skating for 4 years, I've been at it for 4 hours.
How did I end up on my arse?
Lift your foot up & show me your wheel bearings Andy.
-whump!
What a dirty rotten trick, but that's roller derby players for you Sad
No skating sessions for the next couple of weeks because of school half terms, (no age limit, but it's mainly kids), so I'll have forgotten everything by the time I go again.
I WILL be back though. Thanks to Heather & Pete of Disco Skate Events for encouraging me & not telling me how useless I am. Smiley

JayJay

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2019, 12:20:25 AM »

Never mind Andy, 1 out of 4's not bad.

Are you ready for the next Comic Con or were you just hoping someone would beam you up to spare your blushes?  Cheesy

Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2019, 08:51:22 AM »

Smiley
When I told my landlady I'd fallen, she asked if I fell forwards or backwards. I actually have no idea! I was so busy trying to get up again -you try it with wheels on your feet, that I didn't take any notice. It didn't hurt at all, which is probably also because I was busy trying to recover. Probably a good thing because now I don't have so much fear of falling.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 08:57:41 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2019, 09:09:29 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2019, 09:10:07 PM »

Still plugging away at the skating.
Just scooting up & down the garage for an hour each evening, working on my balance & just getting comfortable & confident on wheels.
My 92 year old landlady hoards ... anything & everything I think, so her garage is full of old furniture.
Is there a technical term for crashing into a wardrobe I wonder? The Narnia Manouvre?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2019, 11:12:08 PM »

Still practicing.

JayJay

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2019, 02:13:28 AM »

Undecided  Roll Eyes
That is the best I could come up with to represent a groan.  Cheesy

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2019, 09:26:04 AM »

Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2019, 09:32:59 PM »

First night back at the sports hall after the organisers had a break during half term.
I'm definitely getting better, but only in straight lines. Every time I attempt any kind of manouvre I straighten up, when I should actually be crouching lower. Standing upright throws your centre of balance further back & before you know it your wheels go out from under you & you end up flat on your back -ask me how I know that Sad
More people there tonight. A couple of parents having a go & quite a few more kids, which really focuses you on learning how to avoid them -I don't want to be responsible for mowing down some 5 year old.
Simon came along again tonight & gave me a little one on one tuition. It helped, but I'm pretty sure he exerts some sort of gravitational pull, like a skating black hole, as I only seem to hit the deck when he glides up alongside me.
One fall tonight, but it was a heavy one, landing on my back with my arm behind me. Thank God for wrist guards, (like fingerless gloves with hard plastic splints either side of your wrist). Nothing broken, but my hand's a bit tender at the moment. Still, there must be some coolness in being able to say "What this? Oh it's just a roller skating injury" when you're pushing 60 Smiley
Back again next week for more punishment.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: