April 16, 2024, 11:39:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Rollin' rollin,' rollin'  (Read 11353 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2019, 03:50:08 PM »

You've got way too much free time Tony! Smiley
I had the choice of "quads" or "in-lines". I figured quads would be more stable, with a wheel at each corner, plus you can't flex sideways at the ankle as you can on in-lines, so hopefully less chance of a job threatening injury, (I walk for a living). Modern quads have a rigid plastic boot, like a ski boot, with a fleece lining. They use adjustable clasps rather than laces. Quite comfortable once they're on, but I haven't mastered getting them on & off on my own yet -took someone else to pull them off.
Simon Pollock, the pin striper & signwriter who's going to do the Kettering on my truck doors, is a born again skater. He's a similar age & build to me & took it up for exercise a year or so ago, having not skated since his teens. Now he belongs to a club & skates most weekends, as well as attending the weekly Guildford roller disco, playing in a roller derby team & occasionally joining the London Sunday morning road runs where dozens of skaters travel around various boroughs & parks.
He got me into it & knows the couple who run the lessons cos they also organise the roller disco.
I hate sport, but thought it'd be a fun way of getting a bit more exercise. Maybe Smiley
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 03:54:47 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2019, 03:51:33 PM »

https://www.lfns.co.uk/

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2019, 08:13:42 PM »

Your problem Mr. M is way too much time on your hands!! anyway, at your age I would have thought Wild Flower Pressing, or "Origami for Beginners, or suchlike would be far more sensible.... Cheesy Cheesy..Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2019, 10:27:41 PM »

Used to do Origami as a teenager. I just fancied trying something new. I really don't want to spend the rest of my life in the garage.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 08:02:36 PM »

2nd session this evening. Still no need to call the paramedics -I'm calling that a win Smiley

Tony oily bike

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2019, 12:45:07 PM »

Looking good............

So if the second lesson was 'Standing Up', guessing third lesson will be 'Sitting Down'    Grin  Grin  Grin (sorry mate!)

Actually (although I jest) it does looks fun.

When I was a wee nipper, I used to roller skate on holiday at Butlins.
Spent so much time skating around I got blisters on my feet.
Not worry, a quick medical fix of a bit of "it won’t hurt" iodine sorted it!

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2019, 02:05:01 PM »

Grin
I can just about manage a lap of the sports hall unaided now. No falls yet, but several bouts of frantically windmilling like an epileptic octopus to stay upright.
More elephant than elegant Smiley
On the plus side, I've gained 3 inches in height & all the kids keep well out of my way.
I don't "do" sports of any kind -as you may have realised from my ballet dancer's physique -but used to go to the gym every night about 20 years ago. This gives you the same "high" -makes you feel happy & that you've achieved something when you leave.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 02:08:27 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

the coppersmith

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2019, 07:59:40 PM »

skateboard next, then maybe a surf session ??
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2019, 08:09:22 PM »

Yeah, then maybe alligator wrestling.

JayJay

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2019, 11:20:54 PM »

When I was a wee nipper, I used to roller skate on holiday at Butlins.
Spent so much time skating around I got blisters on my feet.
Not worry, a quick medical fix of a bit of "it won’t hurt" iodine sorted it!

Which Butlins did you go to Tony? I went to Bognor.  I loved the skating there too. Loved the place but hated telling school friends where I'd been. Remember the essay most youngsters had to write on their return after the Summer, "What I Did On My Holidays"? Well we had to read it out too. Bognor said with a Brummie accent did not sound appealing at all.  Roll Eyes

Glad you're enjoying yourself Andy. It's good to try something different. I would like to have singing lessons. Just to be to able sing while listening to my music without ending up with a sore throat. They say it's all in the breathing. Sounds less dangerous than skating (at our age). Less chance of a broken hip!  Cheesy

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2019, 08:35:38 AM »

I've got a friend down in Bristol who sings in an amateur rock choir. They get together to sing just for the enjoyment of singing out loud in a large group.

Tony oily bike

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2019, 10:27:59 AM »

Jay Jay
Butlins by the sea at Bognor Regis! Me too!

The skates used to be worn with your own shoes on, had a buckle strap that went around the ankle, and a lace-up nose that went around the front of the shoes, so the amount of soreness from the buckle and strap depended on the type of shoes/boots you turned up with.

Oh, and the skates didn’t have any in-built braking rubber block, you had to put one foot perpendicular and up against the heel of the other to slow down, or if you were flash, put yourself into a spin!

The area had a switch back wooden-railed switchback (similar to the queuing system found at airports) for those that didn’t want to venture out onto the concrete rink, which itself had either concrete walls or hefty wooden fences surrounding it.

Non of this fancy stuff Sir M plays with............ nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.............  Roll Eyes

Skates in the photo prob similar age to Sir M's pop

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

the coppersmith

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2019, 11:30:38 AM »

weren't they called Jacko skates or something? I remember flattening off the buckle up stands and nailing them to my first skate boards !! my sister was not happy  Grin Grin
the coppersmith

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2019, 11:31:22 AM »

plus the real fast ones had metal wheels.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2019, 01:55:41 PM »

weren't they called Jacko skates or something? I remember flattening off the buckle up stands and nailing them to my first skate boards !! my sister was not happy  Grin Grin

Hah Hah!

Jaco skates were a particular make.

Couple of pics for some nostalgic memories  Wink

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: