April 25, 2024, 07:52:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Those "Lest we forget" figures  (Read 1507 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: December 17, 2018, 03:29:19 PM »

Have you seen these? They're all over the place, commemorating fallen soldiers. I think local councils make a donation to the Poppy Appeal in exchange for them. Lots of villages here in Hampshire have them stood at the roadside.
I saw this one outside Farnborough North railway station this morning. I knew there were several variations & sizes, but I've never seen the Royal Airforce one before. Of course, Farnborough has an airport & has links to the history of aviation, so it makes sense.
Sad to see someone's been chucking stones at the soldier one though, (the rail station's used by kids from the local 6th form college -maybe not them, but that'd be my guess). Anyone else seen an Airforce one or is it a one-off?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
jevi

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 06:58:52 AM »

I've seen them in a number of places around Northumberland and the Lake's.  I've also seen a few different reminders for instance in Ambleside they have large poppies fixed to the lamp posts which have individual name's on them and around our village and the local area we had the ghosts - perspex cutouts placed on roadside seats that you could only see c!early if your headlights caught them straight on. or they were covered in dew/rain drops and reflected the street light's.  Poignant but a bit, well not creepy, just slightly unnerving when you just caught a glimpse as you drove passed and they seemed to have dispossessed you took a second glance.
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 07:04:08 AM »

Lots of them down here too,some TV reports of them being vandalised as well? Cry I find myself saluting them when we pass..personal respect thing..

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
phunkie hiboy

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 11:23:14 PM »

Sad to see someone's been chucking stones at the soldier one though, (the rail station's used by kids from the local 6th form college -maybe not them, but that'd be my guess).

Probably Miles and Simon, when they've had nothing to do.

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 07:38:35 PM »

Smiley

JayJay

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 05:44:45 AM »

... we had the ghosts - perspex cutouts placed on roadside seats that you could only see c!early if your headlights caught them straight on. or they were covered in dew/rain drops and reflected the street light's.  Poignant but a bit, well not creepy, just slightly unnerving when you just caught a glimpse as you drove passed and they seemed to have dispossessed you took a second glance.

That would be eerie. It's bad enough around here watching out for deer let alone ghostly figures sitting in the hedgerows!  Shocked

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 07:31:56 PM »

I haven't seen any of those, but now I'm curious!

terry t

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 12:16:47 PM »

In Portsmouth the put up the names of service men that died in wold war1 on lamp post. The street and house number were they live
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 09:26:38 PM »

I like that idea.

JayJay

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 04:26:34 AM »

In Portsmouth the put up the names of service men that died in wold war1 on lamp post. The street and house number were they live

What an inventive idea. Really brings home the losses that were suffered. Some people say we should shut up about the wars but I think everyone should remember the losses involved, and not just those by the UK and its allies. Seeing a sign like this brings home to someone who was not alive then, the sheer waste of life just in their own road or street. It is wrong servicemen and women are still being killed or badly injured nowadays. Perhaps we learn but unfortunately the politicians never do.  Sad

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: