April 18, 2024, 04:21:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Morris Minor owners top drink & drug conviction list  (Read 915 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: December 12, 2018, 07:08:34 PM »

Owners of Morris Minors are among the most prolific drug and drink drivers, a new study suggests.
In a study of 139 makes of car and six million insurance quotes, the quintessentially English vehicle was, proportionately, among the worst offenders over the past year.

The top 10 manufacturers with the most drink or drug driving convictions in 2017/18, per 1,000 people were as follows:

1 - Panther - 33.3

2 - Mahindra - 12.9

3 - Datsun - 6.8

4 - Morris - 3.9

5 - MG - 2.2

6 - Austin - 2.1

7 - Isuzu - 2.1

8 - Caterham - 1.9

9 - Rolls Royce - 1.6

10 - Vauxhall - 1.4

Although it wont beat it for speed, the Minor finished above much flashier makes like Ferrari and Lamborghini.
This possibly owes to the caution the driver's of these super cars take with their much more expensive models.

Topping the list was Panther cars, although only 1,500 were ever made in its Surrey HQ. A total of 33% of the rare car's driver's were convicted of being over the influence in one year.
Only nine models were produced between 1972 and 1990, with some selling for up to £100,000.

The Minor was the first British car to achieve sales of more than 1m, and the cars regularly sell for up to £20,000.
More than 1.6m of the motors - considered a classic in automotive design and 'typifying Englishness' - were manufactured between 1948 and 1972.
With a top speed of just 63mph, and taking more than 30 seconds to get to 60mph, there are just over 8,000 Morris Minors on UK roads now.

Drivers of Indian-made Mahindra cars were in second, spot with 13 out of every 1,000 owners caught high or drunk at the wheel, with Datsun drivers in third sport, with 7 out of every 1,000 drivers.

Among the car makes in which no owners at all had convictions for drink or drug driving in the past year included owners of Lotus sports cars, Daimlers, DeLoreans, Hillman Imps and Hummers.

The lowest number of car makes which did make the list, buy only just were as follows;

1 - Ferrari - 0.3

2 - Porsche - 0.5

3 - Kia - 0.5

4 - Aston Martin - 0.5

5 - Dacia - 0.6

6 - Toyota - 0.6

7 - Daihatsu - 0.6

8 - Nissan - 0.6

9 - Lamborghini - 0.6

10 - Skoda - 0.6

Morris Minor driver Chris Edmonds, 47, of Harrow, north west London said: 'I had no idea I was part of a band of such lawless drivers!
I've never taken mine on the motorway as it struggles to get past 55mph and I've certainly never driven drunk or high on drugs.
It just goes to show that appearances can be deceptive.'

Emma Garland, data scientist at MoneySuperMarket, said 'Our latest report shows that we should never judge a book by its cover.
Owners of classic Morris and MG motors are within the top ten of the highest drink and drug driving convictions, whereas flashier car makes including Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Porsches come in far lower on the list.
'There are a few possible reasons for this, one being that those who own expensive supercars may be more cautious given their high value. It goes to show that you need to keep an eye on the road this festive season.'

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
the coppersmith

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 08:04:46 PM »

Panther Lima's were built in Plymouth on the Belliver estate, opposite the Marlin kit car factory. I used to flit between the 2 welding the chassis. Gosh, mid to late 70's !!
minimutly

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 12:46:55 AM »

When I was a boy, every Sunday the village rang with the sound of moggy thous coming from all around- the local pub was a hippy heaven, beer and wacky baccy, chips in a basket....
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 07:29:12 AM »

I miss those crazy 70s times..is it old age that makes you feel certain times we're better in many ways ? It seems that despite moderne inventions /gadgets and some aspects of social media things are gloomier ? Undecided

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 12:13:31 PM »

Life was simpler, there's no doubt.  We didn't want so much, cos there wasn't as much 'stuff' to want!  Communities - certainly where I lived - looked after their own.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
paulywombats

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 03:18:37 PM »

**** Music playing in background 'Largo from New World Symphony'****

You could go out on a Saturday night with £1 in your pocket, have 10 pints of mild, a curry at the Taj Mahal, taxi home and still have your quid, if everone else paid!

I thought I was wrong once, it turned out I was incorrect!
Living on a wing and a weld
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: