April 18, 2024, 10:05:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy days?  (Read 3263 times)
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« on: November 27, 2018, 06:10:34 PM »

Happy days..1979 rebuilding the "32"Jago hotrod along with my cousin..I had hair too Grin
Be nice to see some old hotrods from you lot ?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 06:16:32 PM »

I had a Morris Minor pick-up with a 1600 twin cam Fiat Mirafiori engine & 5 speed box, with bench seat & one piece flip front.
Sadly, haven't got a single photo of it Sad

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 08:55:06 PM »

1980 Not a hot rod but my first big project.  Ford Consul Farnham. Tiny garage big car.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
stinkey

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 09:07:24 PM »

Well I never Mr Olds DITTO..my first big project ..and one that almost killed me?
Mine was in 1971..

Olds

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 10:26:06 PM »

and one that almost killed me?

Same here !
I was in the car, welding in a floor panel and set fire to underseal, that started dripping like napalm onto wood planks I was storing under the car.
When I looked up I couldn't see through the windscreen for the smoke. The car was a runner so I drove it out. Luckily I always have a fire extinguisher or two.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 10:31:15 AM »

I did that to a friend's mark 3 Cortina, welding a repair patch under a rear wheel arch. Very nearly choked to death on the powder from the fire extinguisher.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 12:04:10 PM »

We moved to Dorset from Worcestershire in our Mk1 Cortina with the starter not working (it's amazing how man downhill parking spaces you find when you need to!), so the first thing Ray did when we got there was start work on the car.  Can't remember how it happened but a slip of a spanner causing a spark ignited an unexpected fuel leak and the flames melted the pipe, as the car was parked on a slope the petrol was still coming out...
So he let the handbrake off, used the weight of the car to swing round and uphill, then used fire extinguisher.

So there were in a new strange place, with a car that wouldn't go, with melted hoses and stuff.......  but it could have been so much worse!  He talked to a neighbour, found out where to go, and went off on a bus and got what was needed and came back and fixed it all.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 04:03:32 PM »

Smiley It's usually only later that you realise how close you came to disaster!

stinkey

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 06:37:59 PM »

Only later ? Hmm?  I was working on the car..using the old original side jack..sat between the car and the garden fence..the jacking point gave way ( severely rusted  Shocked) and the car collapsed towards me,the jack actually disappeared through the rear door ( completely rusted and full of filler) and jammed up against the rear seat..which allowed me to get through the old rotten fence panel into next doors garden Shocked

the coppersmith

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 08:20:45 PM »

different thing same result. Called to weld an arm back on a harvester in the middle of a field. Blazing hot summer day. Plenty of bodies standing around, so I began. You have guessed it haven't you.  Grin Bloody corn went up, luckily someone spotted what was happening and managed to put it all out, eventually. Made me jump, burnt all the skin off my thumb and index finger. Scorched the paint on the side of my trusty Maestro van, and a few farm hands lost their eyebrows etc. Never got fully paid for that job either.  Grin Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: