April 19, 2024, 01:06:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Welding Mask  (Read 2455 times)
morrag

Carpe diem!

« on: October 19, 2018, 07:50:47 PM »

How good, or bad! are the cheapo auto darkening welding masks, and how important is a battery change facility on a solar powered mask, and also by cheap I mean around £20! cheap,if thats a practical option.....Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 08:25:51 PM »

I've got a solar powered one that cost about 50 quid, which seemed to work well. I haven't used it for a couple of years though & did wonder if the battery would be buggered by now.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 06:00:39 AM »

I bought an Aldi one for £22 seems fine not got arc eye.

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
Olds

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 09:26:12 AM »

I bought a cheapish one in about 2013 and the reaction time is starting to get a bit slow, so I think the battery may be on the way out. Seems OK if I leave it out in the sun or under a bright light for quite some time before using it.
One day I will see if I can change 'sealed' battery.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
the coppersmith

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 09:40:43 AM »

When I was fully employed welding, I had the best screen, air fed "speedglas" the thing lasted for years, since calling it a day it has given up. I bought an ebay special, works does the job, but when into Tig welding it is a bit restrictive in light Mig is fine, and Mag I always use an old fixed lens.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 01:12:22 PM »

Many thanks guys, as ever, informative...Morrag

minimutly

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 07:26:08 PM »

I'm on my third battery powered helmet - seely one failed outside warranty - no suprise there. A really expensive (£100 odd) one failed and was replaced foc, it's now on its way out again after a year or two - It really pees me off to get arceye flash the first few times I press the tig button.
Get one  with a replaceable battery or a cheap one and replace every two years or so.
As someone said, leave it in the sun between usage helps.
Dslam

Wot ho chaps, its bloody Whitworth!!

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 07:40:42 PM »

I bought a helmet from R Tech where I got my TIG from. It cost about £50 and has a replaceable 'button' battery. The size of a 2p.
You know when the battery is on the way out when the lens delay slows slightly. Not enough for arc eye but noticeable.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 11:21:51 PM »

If the battery is installed before dispatch, then there must be a way of changing it, surely? let me know what you discover Dave................. Huh Huh

Olds

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 05:59:23 AM »

If the battery is installed before dispatch, then there must be a way of changing it, surely? let me know what you discover Dave................. Huh Huh
It's a matter of getting into it. Don't think I can pry it apart without damage.  It's a sealed unit. The sensitivity potentiometer needs a tap occasionally so really needs cleaning/replacing but the tint control and screen etc. are still good so it might be worth trying one day. but probably easier to just buy a replacement adjustable solar lens. Lots on Fleabay but be wary, sight is precious.
Price varies from about £8 for a basic one to £280 for a Speedglas  Shocked but you should be able to find one with changeable batteries etc. for a reasonable price.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 08:01:17 AM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
minimutly

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 04:29:55 PM »

That's exactly the same as the sealy one I had, I did manage to rip it apart but gave up, tbh I don't remember why. Maybe the battery was difficult to find a replacement.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 09:41:17 PM »

Quite honestly, I do very little welding these days, and when I do it's rarely of a prolonged nature, so I have sent for an "E" Bay 'special' and see how I go on with that, worst case scenario would be its junk, but at a price I can't complain over, so..... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy...cheers, Morrag

poprodder

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 09:40:06 AM »

this is mine, cheap from aldi, but great reviews.

terry t

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 12:44:28 PM »

When mine packed up I called into the local welding suppliers and asked for replacement battery or solar powered screen. he said it would be cheaper to buy another helmet for £20. he did say if its not use a lot don't put it back in the box as the solar panel keeps the battery topped up!   
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2018, 02:59:35 PM »

I'm so impressed with my new welding mask, I'm welding things....that dont require welding!!!!!😀😀😀so, what's the,Best way of storing an infrequently used mask of this type, with the need to keep the non removable battery charged, morrag

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: