April 18, 2024, 09:36:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suicide  (Read 1104 times)
JayJay

« on: September 11, 2018, 02:29:22 PM »

Can you help with this petition? It is about supporting those who feel they cannot go on.

https://chn.ge/2NyDHT2

Sadly the number of suicides for men has grown and it is the single biggest killer of men under 45 in the UK. It is probable that each of us knows someone in their community who has taken their own life.

The number of child suicides is also growing. 98 children under 15 yrs old killed themselves in the UK from 2005 to 2014, that was 59 boys and 39 girls. Why would children of that age feel they could not go on living? Do they truly realise what they are doing? It is frightening. Cyber bullying has increased even more so since then. Being embarrassed or hounded by others seems to be a growing trend. We need to make sure we talk to our children. Not just about being bullied but also about not bullying others, because what might seem like a game to them could be the final straw to another child.

The over 15 yrs group is not immune either. There were 177 suicides among 15-19 yr olds in 2017, compared with 110 in 2010. London is particularly bad with youth suicides higher than the national average.

Consider the suicide numbers worldwide, according to WHO, approx one million people kill themselves each year, that is about one death every 40 seconds or 3,000 per day, and for each individual who takes his or her own life, at least 20 attempt to do so. All ages are affected. Staggering!

Consider then celebrity suicides, especially those in the music industry that often influence others such as Avicii, Chester Bennington, Chris Cornell, Kurt Cobain, Lil Peep and perhaps even Mac Miller. Add to that well known actors and sportsmen and those influences soon add up. Children in particular are easily swayed but adults are not immune when they see someone with a "perfect" life kill themselves. It is easy for someone to think that if that celebrity couldn't cope with life with all the benefits they had, how can anyone expect me to.

We need everyone, our children and young adults especially, to realise that yes things get hard but there is always a way through and that starts with sharing how they feel and asking for help. That also means the UK government focusing on and finding the resources to improve mental health support but first and foremost family, friends, teachers, employers and colleagues also need to play their part. Let's help reduce suicide rates anyway we can. Signing this petition and supporting other mental health measures would be a good start.
Cheers JJ  Smiley

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 07:23:06 PM »

Sorry if this sounds hard and harsh JJ but no amount of petitioning will make much difference ..has some one who once tried suicide..and has seen it first hand with several friends/ family members you can't stop it?  It's not nice and it's so devastating for those left behind..all you can do is try your best to educate the youngsters..but teenagers have and will always go through the bad times..hormones etc? Some of us are better equipped to deal with life's problems..some aren't ? 

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 09:09:42 PM »

I'm with you Stinkey, petitions are not going to change anything in that area.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
JayJay

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 12:07:57 AM »

That's fair enough. I just thought that as Manky's members are mainly male and many are in the age bracket that has seen a rise in cases of suicide, it would be worth mentioning. Plus it is a reminder that is acceptable to ask for help and sometimes it is just about taking that step.

It also shocks me that so many young people choose death, like the champion snow boarder, Ellie Soutter, did recently at 18yrs. So sad. Well for those that signed, thank you but if you didn't want to, that is fine also. Thanks for reading anyway.
JJ  Smiley

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
stinkey

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 04:17:24 AM »

I was unaware of young Ellie doing that ? I do believe that social media has played a massive part in so many modern problems especially amongst the younger generation ..all seeming to have so much information but not the wisdom..I will sign the petition though..

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 08:26:08 PM »

It's a sad reflection on todays society, but its a shame that the logic often stated by eminent Road racers about the throttle going both ways, when the dangers of the sport were raised, doesn't seem to extend to social media, social?  a contradiction in terms, from where I stand as a total non-user!!  Angry >:(Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
stinkey

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 06:16:29 AM »

Morrag,your not missing much tbh.. Cool

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: