March 28, 2024, 06:36:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alta Motors Electric Crapshoot Dragster (drag bike)  (Read 2826 times)
Tony oily bike

« on: June 29, 2018, 10:25:23 AM »

Found a couple of articles about the Alta Motors Electric Crapshoot Dragster (drag bike)

Drag racing came to the UK from across the pond in the early 60’s, but before that, we had been Sprinting’ for decades.

Sprint meetings were a frequent popular form of motorsport, testing acceleration and/or top speed over set distances ranging from 1/8 mile, through to ¼ mile up to a flying mile /kilometre.

Mainly the pursuit of the two-wheelers, evolution of motorcycles with the purpose of getting from a standstill to the flag as quickly as possible had been continually evolving, starting with a single cylinder sidevalve, moving onto twins (before the mass produced multis were around), exotic fuels and forced induction (superchargers), then came the multi-cylinder era, electronic ignition and fuel systems etc etc.

So what next, bearing in mind the drive away from the internal combustion engine – well maybe this is an insight to an “old school” (?) look for an electric drag bike?

There are a few electric drag bikes out there being given the beans down the dragstrip, and their performance is impressive, but to folk of a certain age who have a familiarity with the old internal combustion engine and it noise at the dragstrip/sprint, would this cut it? To take a note out of Marty McFly’s book from Back To The Future, maybe some of you aren’t ready for it yet – but your kids are gonna love it!

Personally, this is much more my cup of tea...........  Cool
http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=15284.0

https://rocket-garage.blogspot.com/2018/04/the-crapshoot-electric-dragster.html
https://thevintagent.com/2018/03/11/the-current-alta-motors-crapshoot-dragster/t

Just for clarity,  Grin Alta Motors are from across the pond, and as such should not to be confused with the Alta Car and Engineering Company from the 1950’s who made race cars in Surbiton, Surrey in jolly old Englandshire.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 10:32:11 AM by Tony oily bike » Logged

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 10:27:48 AM »

Another pic

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

Tony oily bike

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 10:28:18 AM »

Nice to see laced wheel and traditional M&H 4" slick
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 10:33:51 AM by Tony oily bike » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 04:06:58 PM »

I like it -although a little voice in my head is screaming that I shouldn't.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 07:46:16 PM »

Orrrr....Alta Motorcycles, of Swansea, who made off-road comp. bikes in late 60's to early 70's.
, ridden by the Lampkins, and...me!, and one of which I still own!...Morrag.

Beware the Ides of March, But!
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 08:07:29 PM »

I like it..it goes don't it,so what's not to like? I don't care what makes it go..it's all magical to me Cool

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 08:13:29 PM »

So is Alta just a common surname, or does it mean something?

Olds

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 06:57:02 AM »

Apparently Alta is the feminine form of Altus. A Latin word for high or deep (or profound). Seems to have been used by several vehicle makers.
Electric looks to be the way of the future, but I will miss the thunder of internal combustion.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 07:47:50 AM »

I've got several customers on my Postal round with hybrid cars -electric at low speeds. They just seem so wrong, silently manouvring around. I've had a couple of instances where I haven't heard them pull up on their driveway as I'm delivering the Mail.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: