April 27, 2024, 12:00:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bronze Model T  (Read 2495 times)
Iceman

« on: June 04, 2018, 11:45:41 AM »

In 1911 Henry Alexander, a Ford Dealer from Edinburgh, drove a Model T to the summit of Ben Nevis as a publicity stunt - five days to get up and down in one. In 2011, the Model T Club wanted to place the original T back on the summit to commemorate the event. However, the powers to be wouldn't let them helicopter it up, so they dismantled the car and 70 volunteers carried the bits up and reassembled it on the top!
After the event a local group was formed with a view to commissioning a permanent memorial and they came up with this - a copy of the original car in bronze with Mr Alexander at the wheel.
The model T club came up in force to celebrate the unveiling two weeks ago and here is a photo of some of my favourites. It is designed to be a fun piece and since it was unveiled there seems to have been a constant string of folks  sitting on board having their photo taken. If you're ever passing this way check it out, it really is lovely. I can't think of another bronze statue of a car - are there any more out there?

Embrace your inner lunatic. Fun times guaranteed!
Iceman

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 11:48:02 AM »

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:17:03 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Iceman

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 11:53:59 AM »

Iceman

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 11:55:23 AM »

Iceman

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 11:56:46 AM »

JayJay

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 01:10:53 PM »

Lovely photos. Interesting too. Was that the Model T club from your area or across the UK. I would imagine it would be a great event to be involved in. It is super that it's a piece of art that is there for people to engage with.

I have never heard about the original Ben Nevis drive up. I can't imagine how he did it. Is/was there a path even enough for a car to drive up there? Major props to those who carried the bits up and rebuilt the car atop the mountain. No mean feat.  Cool

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Iceman

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 02:22:22 PM »

JayJay,
This hyperlink tells the story better than I can. For twenty years there was an weather observatory on the summit, ( it shut just before WW1 ) of Ben Nevis and the Model T drove up the track that was used by the ponies that supplied it. There was a team of six horses that accompanied him, but whether they were used is unknown!
I think he tried to do the same with a model A, but the path deteriorated after the observatory shut. A Land Rover has been up there and as far as I know an Austin Champ was the only other vehicle to reach the summit. It wouldn't be possible to do today because there are a couple of bridges that have been replaced with much narrower ones.
The Model T's that arrived for the unveiling were from all over the UK but there was a strong Scottish turn out and even one from Holland - 55 in all. It was a grand day out! Grin

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-44003271

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 08:21:00 PM »

That's fabulous!
Whereabouts is the statue?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Iceman

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 09:47:24 PM »

The statue is in Cameron square in Fort William which is where Mr Alexander started his assault on the Ben. The model T's went on a little tour round the county taking in other bronze statues - 'sair feet' in the high street, ' the smelter' in Inverlochy and the commando memorial At Spean Bridge, probably about 40 miles on some of the loveliest, quietest, most scenic  roads around here. I think it would be great to have a hot rod/custom bike reliability trial round here, but the weather can be so fickle. It was a feast for me because we have so few events like this in this area which is a shame because they are always well received by the locals.
The statue is brilliant though Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2018, 06:06:24 AM »

I might be up your way in October, so will seek it out for a passenger seat selfie Smiley

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2018, 06:12:23 AM »

Hey Iceman,perhaps you can arrange some bunting and locals to cheer MM has he arrives..

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Iceman

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 07:04:33 AM »

Mr Stinkey,
When Henry Alexander left he was accompanied by a pipe band and dancing girls - would that suffice for a Royal Visit from the Grand Monkey himself? No need for a selfie, I shall arrange for a photographer complete with frock coat and top hat to record the event.
If you come with him I'll show you all the holes in our roads. In fact you could take them home with you.... Grin

Tony oily bike

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 07:36:02 AM »

In 1911 Henry Alexander, a Ford Dealer from Edinburgh, drove a Model T to the summit of Ben Nevis as a publicity stunt - five days to get up and down in one. In 2011, the Model T Club wanted to place the original T back on the summit to commemorate the event. However, the powers to be wouldn't let them helicopter it up, so they dismantled the car and 70 volunteers carried the bits up and reassembled it on the top!
After the event a local group was formed with a view to commissioning a permanent memorial and they came up with this - a copy of the original car in bronze with Mr Alexander at the wheel.
The model T club came up in force to celebrate the unveiling two weeks ago and here is a photo of some of my favourites. It is designed to be a fun piece and since it was unveiled there seems to have been a constant string of folks  sitting on board having their photo taken. If you're ever passing this way check it out, it really is lovely. I can't think of another bronze statue of a car - are there any more out there?

Thanks for posting Mr Iceman, really interesting.

Not aware of any other bronze statues of model Ts, but it jogged my memory about the old Golden Ford model T, a racer with a polished brass body which featured on an episode of Salvage Squad back around 2003.

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 09:00:09 AM »

Just a little incognito holiday. No need for any fuss, really Smiley
When I lived with Tazet she had a photo of the brass Ford on the mantlepiece. None of me, just the car Smiley

Iceman

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 11:24:28 AM »

I think the Golden Ford belongs to Neil Tuckett who was there at the weekend with, I believe, the original car to reach the summit. He was certainly the driving force ( ooh, poor pun ) behind the 2011 effort. I quite fancy building a speedster with a proper cedar on oak, copper riveted boat tail. I have looked into it and Neil will sell  a running rolling chassis from  £2k - £4k.
Andy, will you settle for a fanfare of trumpets? You had better call in to see me this time! I'll give you a copy of my map of secret beaches of  the West Coast....  Wink

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: