April 20, 2024, 01:43:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: What were you reading over 40 years ago?  (Read 2633 times)
JayJay

« on: May 25, 2018, 09:56:12 PM »

Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: 40th Anniversary Edition.

A bit late, as the original was actually published in '74. I think I was about 19 when I read it. It's about a motorcycle trip by a father and his 12 year old son, in the 60s in America.

The author, Robert Pirsig (the father) actually died last year at 88 years old. Sadly his son Chris died in the late 70s after he was mugged.

Anyone remember it or read it? It will probably seem quite dated now.

Currently available on Amazon for 99p on the Kindle. If anyone is tempted:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zen-Art-Motorcycle-Maintenance-Anniversary-ebook/dp/B0063HC7EQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1527283483&sr=1-4

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 04:42:49 AM »

Yes, I bought it when it first came out. I was 12 & an avid reader, but struggled with it & never finished it. Maybe I should buy another copy & try again.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Archie

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 05:21:25 PM »

Was t even a twinkle in me fathers eye then  Tongue
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 09:00:57 PM »

Tsk -kids! Sad

oldmetalhead82

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 10:27:49 PM »

Street Machine magazine every month,only ever read two books,apart from the ones for tech college.

A MANS GOT TO DO WHAT A MANS GOT TO DO,               AND I DID IT OVER THERE   ------>>>>>>>>
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 07:09:08 AM »

Just about every chop/hotrod magazine I could,plus I seem to remember Eric Von daniken ? About aliens ?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
minimutly

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 12:08:11 PM »

Zen and the art of motocycle maintenance still crops up (high) in the list of best reads - i might need to have a look?
As for mags, one of the morotbike mags of the time - can't remember which one now - allways had full page ads for Lewis leathers, Dave Walker was the tech guru - he's still around, writing for Practical Performance Car, has a business out in Norfolk somewhere?
the coppersmith

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 07:47:13 PM »

1974 ? I was into reading my wedding speech, assembling a creche/cot and trying to finish building my house. Oh, and trying to avoid the shotgun father in law was threatening me with  Grin Grin yep got married, 6 months to late !!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 08:07:14 PM »

Damn,  you're old! Smiley

poprodder

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 03:35:10 AM »

1978 i was 6-7yrs old!!!!

..................erm what did i read yesterday?

Olds

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 09:41:08 AM »

Being married and having a mortgage meant free time was limited. As far as reading goes, 40 years ago I was either swatting for HNC Mech. Eng. or reading The Engineer and trade magazines at break times, so my reading list at that time was extremely dull. Didn't really get back to reading for pleasure till much later.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Iceman

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 11:30:44 AM »

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

“The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of the mountain, or in the petals of a flower. To think otherwise is to demean the Buddha - which is to demean oneself.”

Yep, still have the book. Threw out Jonathon Livingston Seagull, Dance of the WuLie Master, Politics of Ecstacy and all the other pseudo guff, but I kept Zen and the art......Oh, and I still have Hot Car and Custom Car ( and the odd Mayfair ) in my Dad's attic! Happy days Smiley

Embrace your inner lunatic. Fun times guaranteed!
JayJay

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 12:49:43 AM »

When I posted this I forgot about all the youngsters on MMM. My apologies to all those twinkles, and Postman Pat readers. Feel even older now.  Undecided

Interesting reading material you had all those years ago but I think Coppersmith's was the most esoteric.  Cheesy

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
spanners

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 08:53:45 PM »

WHAT HAPPENED To THE. CLANGER,S. ? ?

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
the coppersmith

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 12:48:03 PM »

I'd laugh JayJay if I knew what that big word meant, hope its a compliment  Grin
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: