March 28, 2024, 12:34:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Power steering leak.  (Read 1775 times)
Olds

« on: April 20, 2018, 11:24:41 AM »

At the start of the week while driving out to see lunatic at his workshop, the steering started to make some odd noises. Sounded like a tyre was rubbing on something. By the time I got back it was obvious things were very amiss.

Didn't take much deduction to establish that i had a more than a slight leak of ATF. It was dripping all over the place.
Thoughts of expensive repair costs ran through my mind. Would it be the pump or steering rack seals?

Turned out my worst fears were unfounded. It was a 'low pressure' hose leaking where it connected to a steel pipe.
Quite why anyone would design it so this joint is only 2" away from the exhaust manifold and so subject to some severe heat is any ones guess.

A new length of hose and a pair of decent T bolt hose clamps and all is good again.
Pic of hose.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 03:31:19 PM »

Is that the MX5 Dave?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 03:51:43 PM »

Yup.
 If something goes wrong the first thought is, will it be worth fixing. It was touch and go whether it was worth it, when I needed a new exhaust and cat, for the MOT. I managed to find a cheap system. If it were genuine Mazda items, the cat alone would have been too expensive.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 04:09:57 PM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 08:41:58 PM »

I have a leak from the power steering pump in my old red estate car, which we only keep for running to the dump etc, and in fact have currently lent to a friend whose car let him down.  I know when the fluid needs topping up because it 'groans' !  Been doing it for a few years now, just not worth fixing when we hardly use it!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: