April 19, 2024, 09:24:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Oldies out & about  (Read 26899 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2018, 03:16:57 PM »

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2018, 03:22:13 PM »

Then as I came back out of the shop this '53 Chevy pulled in. I don't think I've seen it before, but it's local. The owner's a member of newly formed club The Booze Cruisers, or Boozingstoke Cruisers, not sure which. A bit cliche rockabilly for me -they're all flat caps & turn-ups, but nice enough. He's recently sold his Pop -I thought I was the only one in Basingstoke! Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2018, 03:22:42 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2018, 03:23:07 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #109 on: August 23, 2018, 03:23:33 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #110 on: October 01, 2018, 05:59:21 PM »

Saw this gorgeous Austin Maestro this afternoon, just around the corner from me. It had several Cornwall stickers in the windows.
I've owned 2 of these, both this same red, & loved them. Really spacious, comfortable cars to drive.
Unfortunately 1 was written off when I hit a milkfloat, (no, I wasn't racing it), & the other was written off when I hit a Badger -it didn't do the Badger much good either.
Maybe not a classic -yet, but when was the last time you saw one? Made my day Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2018, 06:02:23 PM »

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #112 on: October 01, 2018, 06:35:43 PM »

They have actually been designated as a 'Modern Classic' by the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs.  I loved my Maestro and would have kept if I'd had room to keep another vehicle that wasn't roadworthy (it was having carburettor problems which are difficult to solve because the carbs aren't available or weren't when I had mine.).

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
paulywombats

« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2018, 05:30:10 AM »

A mate of mine used to run one and had another in bits in his garage. He would swap all the MOT failure parts to get it through, and then take them off again and put them back in storage. It passed for years! I suggested he kept the good parts on and refurbish the parts he'd removed. I was met with the words 'don't be so bloody stupid'. Roll Eyes

He stripped the car in his back yard, then cut the body in 2 to get it on his trailer to take to the scrap yard.

I thought I was wrong once, it turned out I was incorrect!
Living on a wing and a weld
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2018, 07:38:57 AM »

Me out and about ? Roll Eyes Grin well I am an oldie ?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2018, 08:37:32 AM »

Smiley When I was a teenager I had a 650 Triumph Bonneville. A mate who lived in the next street had a 650 BSA. Apart from the engines they were virtually identical. They never seemed to both be on the road at the same time, so we often swapped wheels, fuel tanks, lights etc.

JayJay

« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2018, 11:24:37 PM »

I had one too but I did think mind was more rounded on the hatchback. Did the models vary much? It is a while back. We had to leave it at our old house in Wales when we moved. It wasn't brilliant when it was left there but months later, after we sold the house, my nephew opened the doors, let out the rainwater and drove the very mouldy car to the scrap yard. Shame because while she was used all the while, she was a great drive. 

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2018, 10:27:51 AM »

No there was only one body shape for the Maestro, just the level of trim varied according to whether it was an Austin or an MG.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Baychimp

« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2018, 10:24:41 PM »

I worked in an British Leyland garage, and one of the cars we used as a run around was a MG Montego. Really only a Maestro with a boot. But this one was the Turbo version,should have seen the face's of the boy racers around Reading when this family saloon beat them away from the lights. Grin Grin Grin
minimutly

« Reply #119 on: October 06, 2018, 08:53:57 PM »

My mother in law had a 1300 maestro, we used to joke about having to disguise ourselves if we drove it.
Whilst saying this, I thought it was a really solid car to drive, way better than the later rover 25/200 (the early 200 based on the shared honda concerto platform was pretty good).
Once you sussed out where the light switch was hidden the maestro was a fun drive.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: