March 28, 2024, 04:23:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Norway  (Read 10887 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 02:06:22 PM »

That's beautiful. I'm always amazed at what our forbears managed to achieve with such limited resources. They certainly weren't stupid were they -it's not just the physical skills needed to build these things, but the imagination to conceive them in the first place. Lovely.
I want a dog in a bag now Smiley
Really interesting photos Tom. Thank you Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
hornet6

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 07:52:36 PM »

Great photos. I worked in Norway in 2002. I was working in a place called Dremmen , I was there for 3 weeks in january. Every day we was there the temperature was between -12 and -15. A stunning amazing place. 

no projects ever finished
Baychimp

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2018, 09:25:36 PM »

When you have to put a ordinary Dog in a kennel or a bag,it makes you realize how well adapted Huskies are to living in that sort of environment. You see them curled up covered with snow and it doesn't seem to bother them at all.
JayJay

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2018, 11:12:41 PM »

Really enjoyed the pics. What a great side of your life and quite a contrast to boat building.

I really like reading about and watching the very occasional documentary about the Iditarod Trail sled dog race in Alaska. Over 1000 miles! That's one reason I don't like seeing huskies as house pets. I don't think it's fair on them.

Thanks for your post Tom, really interesting.  Smiley

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Iceman

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 07:29:58 AM »

Hello Folks, thank you for the kind comments  Smiley
Mr. Baychimp, I agree about huskies, hate seeing them as pets. Most dogs will make themselves comfortable when the weather's rough - see Tara my old girl. But even huskies need looking after when its that cold, especially their paws.
Andy, as a postman I bet you wish all dogs were kept in bags...
JayJay, have you read 'The Cruelest Miles'? Its about the dog relay to get serum to Nome in 1925 to stop a diptheria outbreak. This inspired the Iditerod. Absolutely riveting. Make sure you wrap up when you read it though, they were working in -57c ! And one of the poor dogs testicles froze......
On that cheery note, back to work! Tom.

Embrace your inner lunatic. Fun times guaranteed!
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2018, 07:41:44 AM »

Very interesting kind sir..and the huskies as pets thing..grr! Friends of ours have them..at least they have chariot type of things to exercise them with ?
I think the thought of those cold temps has frozen my danglies ? Kiss

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2018, 04:56:51 PM »

One of our Postmen was badly mauled by a dog last week. Owned by a Polish couple. It pushed past the owner when she opened the door, knocked the guy off his feet then ripped his leg open as well as biting his back. It caught an artery in his leg. The owner simply dragged the dog back indoors & shut the door.
Fortunately the Postman was able to ring his buddy, (we work in pairs, 2 Postmen to a van), & he drove him straight to the hospital. I saw his Mailbag, torn to shreds & literally dripping in blood. The van looked like something out of a horror movie. Scary stuff, but he's O.K
The dog? -a St Bernard of all things!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Baychimp

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2018, 10:12:01 PM »

You are right Iceman. My last dog loved to get out in the snow,being a Collie x German Shepherd she had a double coat that would keep her warm all day. If I went out,she wouldn't stay in.
JayJay

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2018, 12:02:30 AM »

One of our Postmen was badly mauled by a dog last week. ... St Bernard of all things!

I hope they will be prosecuted especially as they did not even help the poor chap. With an injury like that he could have bled to death.  Angry

I haven't seen a St Bernard for ages, either they are less popular now or I'm in the wrong place. I've never known of one being nasty. Friends of the family, who ran a restaurent, kept 3 SBs and 2 bloodhounds and the dogs were great with people and each other. To go and say hello to them and take them a biscuit was our treat after our meal.

... Friends of ours have them..at least they have chariot type of things to exercise them with ? ...

Some people do and that is good. A chap I knew had 2 huskies and they were kept in a very good kennel with a run in the garden. It snowed really heavily and it was cold but nowhere near the temperatures that Tom mentioned. Anyway, his neighbour reported him to the RSPCA for mistreating them by leaving them outside!  Huh

He would put harnesses on them and in this (usually) snow free area he would run like a wheeled sled behind them. Not quite down the high street but in areas where they could enjoy a good run pulling him along.

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
spanners

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2018, 11:39:18 PM »

No such thing as a bad dog ,,, just bad owners. And dogs take after there owners ,,,simple

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2018, 08:13:25 PM »

Huskies are not the only dogs that are happier if they work!  Collies and spaniels are the same, also German Shepherds.  Have you seen the films of spaniels trained to detect drugs - their tail never stop wagging!

I have visually impaired friends who have guide dogs - you'd be amazed how often they get verbally abused for giving their dogs such a hard life - but the dogs are some of the happiest I've seen, and totally devoted to their owners.

Have to say, whether used to drag sleds of whatever sort (runners or wheels) most of the huskies I've met have been very happy dogs.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: