March 29, 2024, 01:27:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: MX5 engine woes  (Read 4665 times)
the coppersmith

« on: March 26, 2018, 06:03:06 PM »

Not really the engine, just a very hard to remove spark plug! All day trying to loosen 2 plugs. Finally got one loose, covered in rust and muck. The plugs are buried in a chamber, need long reach stuff to get them out and they are the 10mm ones which restricted me to 3/8 drive stuff. Anyway one would not budge, Kept slipping the socket, so I smashed out the ceramic bit, thinking I could get another socket down there but because of all the crap down the hole, nothing. After a while I became fed up, not really enjoying the moment. So I bit the bullet and took the head off. Smashed out the centre of the plug and carefully drilled it out @.5 mm at a time, started with 8 and finally 11.5. Still would not budge Went for 12, nope dare I risk 12.5, well its scrap if I don't. Half way through there was a screaming noise and it picked up and spun out. Job done ! I sweat a bit thinking the worse. I think this rounded off plug has been there since the car was built. Luckily found a 14 x 1 tap and tapped out the holes and no apparent damage is visible. Jobs a good 'un. NEXT ! Grin
the coppersmith

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 06:08:56 PM »

the offending head
the coppersmith

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 06:09:36 PM »

The good thing is the bores are perfect
the coppersmith

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 06:10:39 PM »

a good plug and one I struggled with, but gave up in the end
the coppersmith

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 06:14:01 PM »

the remains of the plug  Cheesy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 09:26:43 PM »

Well done that man! May have taken all day, but not losing your temper with it pays off in the end.
I was trying to fit leather straps to the freshly painted fuel tank for my truck recently. The brackets just refused to lign up with the holes. Out of line just far enough that I couldn't quite get the screws in.
Years ago I would've just bludgeoned them in, tried forcing them in, lost my temper & would've inevitably ended up putting a dirty great gouge in the paint.
Knowing that would be the outcome though & knowing they'd come out of those holes, so must go back in eventually, I refused to get angry with it, (I kept calm by singing to myself as I worked). Took me all afternoon to fit 8 screws, but no paint got scratched & no tools got flung across the garage, to bounce off the wall & damage something else.
Perseverance pays off Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 08:32:07 PM »

Well done sir. At least now you know the bores are good. Smiley

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 08:28:44 AM »

A Slow learner Andy ?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
the coppersmith

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 12:24:38 PM »

16 valves to lap in though  Shocked do it right, do it once, or some such word of wisdom from my past  Wink
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 02:52:23 PM »

Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 04:08:45 PM »

Worst case scenario Mr C.....helicoils! excellent devices,but you saved the day, so not needed Cool Cool Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Olds

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 06:48:02 AM »

My Mk 1 Cortina had a plug that wouldn't come out. Took the head off and found it had been welded in, cracking the head ! Bores were knackered as well so I ended up putting a tuned Pinto engine in it instead. Great in a straight line but lethal on wet roundabouts. Seemed like a good idea at the time though.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
the coppersmith

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 03:14:36 PM »

Nice sunny day, even a bit of warmth on my back. Knocked out a few jobs and then put the engine back together and torqued it all down. Forgot where I put the front cover  Huh but its close. So tomorrow is connect gearbox and fiddle it in to the car. I hope.
minimutly

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 08:40:22 PM »

A work coleague built a locost with this engine, he had to fit an integral/internal clutch slave - corsa I think, four times he had the engine and box in and out...
the coppersmith

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 11:47:25 AM »

I'm sticking with the original then, mind made up  Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: