March 28, 2024, 11:08:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yamaha xj650  (Read 7265 times)
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 12:20:25 PM »

I downloaded Simpleresizer..it works to a point? But my iPad is old..and I find every picture seems to be different ? And this site only let's me download what it wants ?

I pads are odd!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
minimutly

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2018, 10:12:44 PM »

They are Gran, but convenient.
minimutly

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 09:42:51 PM »

Back - later than promised, but it runs! And quite well too. Despite being told by numerous Americans on the xjforum that I need to do this that and the other, this won't work, that won't work etc..
So its a 650 on 600 carbs, no filters, bench set etc. Goes like stink.
Also found out its a Midnight Maxim, quite rare actually. Sadly it will never be original, but I plan on keeping the black and gold bits exclusive to MMs.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 10:07:24 PM »

We really need photos! Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
minimutly

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2018, 12:06:58 PM »

The xj projects plod along (yes I did type projectS), with the maxim needing bits, me trawling ebay, suprise, found another one (seca this time) for £105, plus a pallet trip cost to bring it home.
The maxim has gained an 8 inch seca headlight, footpegs, controls, seca handlebar (big improvement), seca rear wheel and brake, generally getting there.
It will still need a seat (I plan on making one once I get it home from the garage in work), and some side panels to suit. Next year rider then...
The seca has gained an xj1100 front wheel and discs, some 900 forks, a tank and side panels, and the carbs have been rebuilt. It hasn't been started or turned over yet, but we'll get there.
Shock absorbers for both has been an issue, the konis on the seca work, but have rusted stems. The kayabas on the maxim were shot. I bough a set of hagons on ebay one night (beer and ebay...). Anyway, these were Ok, so sandblasted and painted springs and bodies gloss black. I also bought a used set of konis adjustables from ebay germany, both look good but one is low on oil....
Looking forward to getting one of these on the road one day.
minimutly

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2018, 11:18:53 PM »

Question for Olds re shaping aluminium - I need to shape some side panels to match the seat (once I've made it) - from aluminium. How feasible is this? I expect they will be 2 to 3 inch dished, around 9 by 11 inches. I have  propane torch and a tig if I need it. Let me know?
Thanks
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2018, 04:20:35 AM »

You can always try looking on YouTube as well? But wouldn't it be cool for mr Olds to do a workshop  Grin

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Olds

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2018, 04:47:56 AM »

Hmm. I'm not a trained sheet metal guy but will think about it. Perhaps someone more qualified could.

Perfectly feasible but not easy. The std side panel is a truncated triangle with lots of compound curves, the main curve looks to be from top to bottom, a slight curve from front to back, but tighter curves around the edges.  The difficult bits will be the corners where a lot of shrinking is required. I would suggest making wood bucks to work the aluminium over. Try to design the panels so that the depth in the corners is as small as possible. Take it slowly and anneal often.  
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 06:52:35 PM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
minimutly

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2018, 07:44:51 PM »

Thanks for the advice, I'll give those bucks some thought, I'n no sheet metal basher, probably less so now I'm older - more impatient!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: