April 19, 2024, 06:43:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: It really is the end of an Era  (Read 1898 times)
Baychimp

« on: March 12, 2018, 08:41:04 PM »

RIP Ken Dodd.
Gone to the great Jam Butty mines in the Sky.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 10:14:12 AM »

Thought he was due to live forever!   Cry

What a great man - he created happiness!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 11:39:46 AM »

Can't be any proper old school comedians left now can there? Jimmy Tarbuck?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
JayJay

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 02:42:26 PM »

Liked him as a child (the diddy men) but not so much as an adult but at least it was just innuendo with him and not swearing, proving you can be funny without it. Mind you the tax evasion didn't do his standing much good.

Didn't like Bob Monkhouse either as he was a bit smarmy but he was another comedian who used his wit to come up with clever lines, again without profanity. As for current comedians I would say, Tim Vine is the master of wit to follow in their footsteps. I do like him!  Cheesy

Andy, you mentioned Jimmy Tarbuck, any others?

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
the coppersmith

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 02:50:12 PM »

I see the young Jasper Carrot is doing the rounds, he is in our theatre soon with some rock musicians from ELO etc. I always liked Jasper's view on life. Jethro is still about. I suppose they aint that old in comparison.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 08:25:48 PM »

LOved Jasper Carrot but never could see why Jethro was funny, I just found him boring.

I saw Bob Monkhouse in panto with Arthur Askey, they were brilliant as the Bailiffs men, with Dickie Valentine as Buttons - oops am I showing my age?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Baychimp

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 11:21:21 PM »

Roy Hudd is still around. I like Roy as he is the complete Encyclopedia of old time variety and  Music Hall.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 11:25:12 PM »

There was a dramatisation of Jimmy Perry's book about the making of Dads Army on the telly last year. Roy Hudd played Bud Flanagan, recording the theme tune.

Baychimp

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 11:39:31 PM »

He is a man of many talents.
JayJay

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 12:03:41 AM »

I see the young Jasper Carrot is doing the rounds, he is in our theatre soon with some rock musicians from ELO etc. I always liked Jasper's view on life ...

I've still got his "Funky Moped" on vinyl which was produced by Jeff Lynne of ELO. Perhaps that is his connection well, apart from both being Brummies. For those that don't know the song here is a link to YouTube:

https://youtu.be/crBbk00XNV4

On the other side was "Magic Roundabout":

https://youtu.be/N_JQDfuMZi0

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 06:04:39 PM »

I think it was the Magic Roundabout track that got it into the charts, but the BBC were never going to play that! I had the single too.

Baychimp

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 10:41:20 PM »

I see the young Jasper Carrot is doing the rounds, he is in our theatre soon with some rock musicians from ELO etc. I always liked Jasper's view on life ...

I've still got his "Funky Moped" on vinyl which was produced by Jeff Lynne of ELO. Perhaps that is his connection well, apart from both being Brummies. For those that don't know the song here is a link to YouTube:

https://youtu.be/crBbk00XNV4

On the other side was "Magic Roundabout":

I think he went to School with Bev Bevan the drummer from ELO. They are still friends today,and tour in a show together.
https://youtu.be/N_JQDfuMZi0
Baychimp

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 11:00:56 PM »

"Everyone knows about you,you brazen hussy!"
"You lousy old fleabag!" said Florence "Call yourself a dog, I've seen better hair on a lavatory brush!"
Some great lines from a good comic.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: