March 29, 2024, 12:06:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Electrifying" vintage cars  (Read 4055 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: March 04, 2018, 02:55:27 PM »

This is interesting:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=783163158547020&id=756992531164083

Sacrilege to some I'm sure, but then so is chopping a 65 year old car in half to build a pick-up. Ahem  Tongue
Removing the original drive train from old cars & replacing it with an electric motor -instant "clean" vehicle, very often with a big boost in power & the potential to easily upgrade as new technology becomes available. Literally Plug n Play.
The only thing missing is the classic engine sound, but I think I'd soon get used to that if it meant I could keep my cherished classic on the road & electric power would make most oldies far more comfortable for longer journies, (no more battered ear drums or vibration shaking your fillings out), meaning you could actually use it more often.
The upgrade in power would mean you could keep up with modern traffic as easily as any new car -Tesla sports car performance in a Ford Popular? And of course, you'd still have the rest of the car to tinker with at weekends.
I'm sure many would recoil in horror at this, but others would see it as a whole new lease of life for their pride & joy. If it came down to scrapping my truck, or retaining it's looks completely unaltered, but running something a little different under the bonnet, I'd be interested.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 09:45:32 PM »

you could keep up with modern traffic as easily as any new car

You might need to upgrade the suspension for that!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Olds

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 07:02:54 AM »

you could keep up with modern traffic as easily as any new car

You might need to upgrade the suspension for that!
And brakes ! Smiley

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 10:31:49 AM »

I was only thinking about keeping up - hadn't got as far as stopping.   And actually, my trike's pretty quick but never had a problem stopping it with the Reliant drum brakes.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 05:19:23 PM »

Smiley The Pop drives perfectly happily up to 70ish, but got a bit skittery when overtaking on motorways at around 80.
The brakes are very good, (or at least were, last time I drove  it). The MOT test allows 10% deficiency for wear & tear over the 3 years before the first test, whereas the SVA test assumes everything's new & in full working order, so they had to be 100%
I wasn't planning on transforming my 65 year old pick-up into a sports car, but just thought, if the technology was available, cheaply & reliably enough, an upgrade to an electric motor in it at some point in the future wouldn't actually be that bad Smiley

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 08:32:58 AM »

Well with the amount of mileage your truck gets I'm sure an electric motor would be fine mate ? Roll Eyes Cheesy

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
the coppersmith

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 12:23:02 PM »

how long an extension lead though?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 03:01:15 PM »

Smiley Charging still seems to be the main stumbling block for electric cars. Not everyone has their own drive to park on -can you imagine dozens of cables running from houses out to cars parked in the street?! Unless they come up with self charging cars, that top up the battery as they travel along, or some sort of electric rail in the tarmac, like a Scalextric track, I can't see them ever becoming popular. How would the Government make up the loss of petrol revenue? Charge you for charging, or bill you per mile you drive I guess.
Radio 4 mentioned a survey yesterday that said a third of car drivers "would never" have an electric car -but at some point they may not have a choice.

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 04:03:54 PM »

All possibilities Mr.M but similarly, who would buy a 5 year old car with the original batteries in?, and have you seen the price on a new battery pack? technology will have to move a little quicker if they are to become viable alternatives to the petrol powered vehicle, at least in the near future. Then there's the charging infra structure required for mass usage...ho, hum...I shan't hold my breath..Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Tony oily bike

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 02:34:32 PM »

Smiley Charging still seems to be the main stumbling block for electric cars. Not everyone has their own drive to park on -can you imagine dozens of cables running from houses out to cars parked in the street?! Unless they come up with self charging cars, that top up the battery as they travel along, or some sort of electric rail in the tarmac, like a Scalextric track, I can't see them ever becoming popular. How would the Government make up the loss of petrol revenue? Charge you for charging, or bill you per mile you drive I guess.
Radio 4 mentioned a survey yesterday that said a third of car drivers "would never" have an electric car -but at some point they may not have a choice.

You think you jest....................... BUT

Would you believe this little Austin 1100/1300 would get to around 120mph in a 1/4 mile?

Well, EJ Potter had fitted it with 4 electric motors, 1 for each wheel (yep, 4 wheel drive Austin), and it ran along cables that were laid along the track, with the electrical power coming from a V12 Allison.

Here's an article on it
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2012/05/02/e-j-potter-and-the-super-slot-car/

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Stix

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2018, 02:52:07 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/australiastoughestcars.com.au/photos/a.1696713220605834.1073741828.1696687817275041/2068787113398441/?type=3&theater

Hehehe
spanners

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 11:32:15 PM »

how long an extension lead though?
About 60 ft it hasn't much further for awhile ,lol

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Tony oily bike

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 07:57:45 AM »

E.J.'s generator............

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 08:36:47 AM »

Have we got enough v12 engines though ? : Roll Eyes

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: