April 27, 2024, 09:11:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The future?  (Read 2531 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: February 26, 2018, 08:26:16 PM »

Spotted by Lunatic on Facebook:

A YouTuber who goes by Jimmy Built stuffed a Tesla motor and the battery pack from a Chevy Bolt into a ragged old 1981 Honda Accord to create what he calls, creatively, the "Teslonda." On one of its first test runs, it laid down a staggering 2.7-second 0-60 mph time, and there's video to prove it.
In the video description, Jimmy Built notes that this run was done on a cold day, with cold tires, and it shows. The Accord launches hard, but you can see its powerful electric motor overwhelms the rear tires. When everything is sorted, Jimmy Built thinks a 2.5-second run is in the cards.
Of course, there's not all that much Honda Accord left here. The entire rear-axle assembly, which houses the motor, appears to have been taken directly from a Tesla, with a tube axle at the front. It's an impressive sight, with the proportions of an old-school dragster and the guts to back up the look. We can't wait to see it at a drag strip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOLzpBzUXZs&feature=youtu.be

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
JayJay

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 12:47:09 AM »

The sound reminded me of my Grandsons' remote control racers running on Duracells.  Cheesy

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 08:20:39 AM »

Did you see,one of the jap car companies just built a car..0-60..1.90 seconds..electric

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Tony oily bike

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 08:56:16 AM »

"Killacycle" was/is an electric drag bike.

About 10 years ago it did a 0- 60mph in 0.8 seconds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRpMV-Gf0hA

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 03:19:56 PM »

So high performance 'leccy vehicles are the way forward then?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 06:37:15 PM »

Jap car only lasts 45 miles? Cry

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
hornet6

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 07:59:55 PM »

Theres quite a few hot rods with electric motors on you tube now. A bit scary the way this technology is going. I saw an advert for the new Nissan leaf. I may be wrong , but I;me sure there is only one pedal in it. So when you take your foot off the accelerator, it brakes just as hard as normal brakes......but like in reverse if you know what I mean. The quicker you take your foot off, the harder it brakes. So now you can drive a car with no engine noise no brake pedal or clutch pedal. 

no projects ever finished
reliantman

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 10:24:46 PM »

The first ever land speed record was an electric vehicle, back in the mists of time.
JayJay

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 11:13:43 PM »

... I saw an advert for the new Nissan leaf. I may be wrong , but I;me sure there is only one pedal in it ...

I'm not sure about the make but I heard the one pedal accelerator/brake mentioned. It some ways it seems intuitive (especially if you are new to driving) but I would have thought those of us used to at least 2 pedals would find it difficult and perhaps a bit dangerous, as a person could easily think they are breaking when in fact they would be accelerating.  Undecided

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
poprodder

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 09:22:16 AM »

leaf has two pedals, but you can drive it just using one, due to brake regen from the electric motors.(soft, medium and hard regen, acts as a brake but also return energy back to batteries, yes like an F1 car)
my brother has a leaf, i've driven it and if its the way forward its not all that bad.

Olds

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 11:04:42 AM »

I worked on rocking single pedal control with regenerative braking for electric vehicles in the late 70's so it's not new. This had a conventional brake pedal that was mainly superfluous. Toe forward-heel braking- heel reverse -toe braking. Took a little getting used to as everyone was used to two pedals (F & R) even though they were linked with a rocker. Not sure what became of it as I left the company.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
poprodder

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 11:07:12 AM »

with regen now you just take your foot of pedal.

kapri

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 02:49:18 PM »

I worked on rocking single pedal control with regenerative braking for electric vehicles in the late 70's so it's not new. This had a conventional brake pedal that was mainly superfluous. Toe forward-heel braking- heel reverse -toe braking. Took a little getting used to as everyone was used to two pedals (F & R) even though they were linked with a rocker. Not sure what became of it as I left the company.

Not for Enfield Motor Co on IOW was it ?  Company I worked for usedto sell them back in the mid 70s'.
the coppersmith

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 04:40:26 PM »

my friend borrowed the new Beemer Hybrid, when the electrics get low a small petrol donkey engine automatically cuts in and recharges the batteries. I presume it drives a big alternator.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: