April 25, 2024, 06:44:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Opening the door to the future?  (Read 727 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: February 14, 2018, 11:52:01 AM »

Have you been following the work of Boston Dynamics?
They're the guys building the disturbingly life-like robots. Not human looking, but human acting. Quite creepy to watch in action.
They produced a "mule" for military use a couple of years ago, which was rejected for being too noisy.
Then they posted footage on YouTube of a humanoid "bot" running, climbing, jumping & even doing back flips.
Their latest offering's a dog sized, 4 legged creature. The clip below shows it being stumped by a closed door -until a second one arrives, fitted with an arm that rises from it's back, opens the door, stands back to let the first one through, then follows it.
Amazing, but very weird. They're completely autononous & self contained -no remote control, no trailing wires, making decisions & acting on them by themselves.
The legs bending in the wrong direction are definitely creepy though!

https://youtu.be/wXxrmussq4E
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 01:38:11 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
JayJay

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 12:29:04 PM »

Very interesting. Trouble is you start on one video and then go down the rabbit hole. 2 hours later ...

Not heard of these before. I have seen other robot videos but I'm pretty sure it wasn't this company. The flea jumper was clever.  You would never think it could jump that high. Also the fish to test big aquarium tanks water quality. The clip where the chap keeps moving the box away from the robot - well I kept expecting the robot to bop him one.  Smiley
Cheers for the link(s) Andy.

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 10:37:47 PM »

I didn't find it creepy so much as terrifying!   They'll be taking over the world soon!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: