April 19, 2024, 11:59:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where to get a windscreen from?  (Read 1651 times)
melosman

« on: December 08, 2017, 06:51:42 PM »

I'm wondering how people manage to get a windscreen when the motor has had a roof chop. Do you get one made from scratch or is there somewhere you can get your old screen cut down?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 07:18:01 PM »

Hiya.
My Pop has a flat screen so I bought a brand new laminated Land Rover screen as they're also flat & had it cut down at a local glaziers, making sure they kept the code numbers printed in the corner of it. They can cut laminate but not toughened. Screens are supposed to be laminated & side windows toughened.
Curved screens are a lot more complex. The SVA vehicle registration scheme has a lot of rules on glass, including vision distortion of the curve etc. Some new hotrod builders are having screens made to order by Pilkington Glass, (about 600 quid).

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 05:44:34 AM »

It's getting harder. There are two main UK manufacturers  Tyneside Glass and Pilkington.  Pilkington have or are going to close the UK automotive section in the UK and Manufacture in Finland.
Most top chop cars tend to have single or two piece flat screens but I've heard that some folk with curved glass have managed to keep the original screen by in effect losing the bottom into the scuttle. Seems like a lot of work to me.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
melosman

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 08:39:03 AM »

So how do you go on if you, for example, do a roof chop on a morris minor with a curved screen? Do you get a glazier to cut your old one down?

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 09:11:28 AM »

With all the problems now associated with rules and regulations regarding windscreens..I'd advice not chopping down your screen or bodywork until you've done an awful lot of research ? Because once you do start modifying it will need to be correctly marked with up to date numbers and laminated inside the glass ( not etched ?) this has been one of the main stumbling blocks on other hotrod forums ? Some people have actually used the windscreen and framework from another vehicle ?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 04:38:58 PM »

Yeah, there was one on FaceBook the other day where someone had grafted the windscreen surround from something like a Citroen into a '50s Chevy I think.
As Dave says, an old trick was to cut a slot in the bodywork below the screen & drop the glass through it, (particularly on '50s "Lead Sleds", so you've actually still got a full height screen​, but the bottom couple of inches are hidden.

Olds

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 07:12:13 PM »

On something like a Moggy Minor, DON'T do it, unless it's a split screen or you can source a screen first. Chopping a Morris means it has to go through BIVA, which at the moment, means E marked glass. This may (but probably not) change in the future.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 07:21:42 PM »

BIVA..EEK !! Shocked

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
spanners

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 07:50:52 PM »

BIVA..EEK !! Shocked

She,, don't they like you're holes  ,stinkey,,,    Cheesy

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2017, 08:17:50 PM »

Monocoque body, rather than separate body & chassis. Cutting the body destroys it's structural integrity in the eyes of VOSA so requires inspection & re-registration.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 07:50:15 PM »

Very odd -this popped up on my Facebook page today:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1640581192904473?view=permalink&id=1910353015927288

Baychimp

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 10:43:41 PM »

Somebodys watching you. Shocked
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: