March 28, 2024, 09:20:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fired up again after 37 years  (Read 2359 times)
JayJay

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 01:32:54 AM »

It may have even been machine code or some assembly language -
 "load c, add hf, move b" etc,
I wrote the code for an engine management system with this stuff - microchip pic 16f87, it ran the ignition and fuelling, quite well actually. I would love to get back into it but can't seem to find the time.

While you were writing the above I was looking it up and yes, Voyager runs on Assembly Language (to those of you who might not know, Assembly Language is about as low level coding as you can get), as well as higher level languages like Fortran and COBOL. Fortran I can understand as it is a scientific language but as for COBOL, I was surprised. I think of it more as a business related language because of its name (COmmon Business-Oriented Language) and the type of programs I used it for. I actually liked COBOL, it was quite disciplined if used properly.

While looking, I came across a piece that said NASA was looking for coders who could work in 60 year old languages to work on Voyager! Maybe you and I, Minimutly should apply. Can I work from home?  Cheesy

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 08:39:29 AM »

Well Andy consider yourself educated now ? Shocked

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 09:49:03 AM »

I have no idea what they're talking about!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: