April 19, 2024, 03:21:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15
  Print  
Author Topic: look at what i have been given  (Read 51490 times)
paulywombats

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2017, 05:28:14 PM »

Yes single shock, seems to work well. I did acquire another shock, just in case.

Replaced the rear brake cylinder with a larger one from car builder solutions 3/4". After a bit of grinding and making aluminium blocks to fasten it to, I managed to get it positioned close to where the original one was. Used the original reservoir and pipe work.

Works well with the Passat brake calipers. I did try the original brake cylinder, but not enough grunt to operate the calipers.

Is your swing arm solid, i.e little rot?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 05:34:04 PM by paulywombats » Logged

I thought I was wrong once, it turned out I was incorrect!
Living on a wing and a weld
merv

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2017, 11:06:50 PM »

No you can't just use 41mm tubes from something else Merv. In fact you have to be a bit careful to get he right 41mm tubes for your particular bike depending on year. There are different lengths and I think internal diameters and early ABS bikes also had 41mm tubes

Thanks for explaining that Dave, i'll  try and be careful with what i buy.
Thanks for the pictures paulywombats, at the moment i dont know how good the swing arm is, why do you ask.

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
paulywombats

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2017, 11:55:20 PM »

It's the weak spot on the Pan, most rot away.

I sold the one from mine as it was in good condition, bought a scrapper with a good enough pivot end. I used this one for the trike.

Just a thought, even roughish swingarms go for £150 on evilbay.

minimutly

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2017, 12:53:23 AM »

No you can't just use 41mm tubes from something else Merv. In fact you have to be a bit careful to get he right 41mm tubes for your particular bike depending on year. There are different lengths and I think internal diameters and early ABS bikes also had 41mm tubes
Indeed, hours of fun with damper rods, springs an stuff - keep it original, just watch ebay for one of the breakers selling a pair.
paulywombats

« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2017, 07:46:51 AM »

Have you had it running yet Merv?

merv

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2017, 10:25:11 AM »

I haven't had it running, the battery is completely dead as you would expect, took a chance and put it on charge. completely knackered a bit like me really lol. My brother has a battery charger come jump pack so we connected it to the bike and it sounded like the solenoid was clicking  but the power wasn't getting to the started motor.   
So i need to get a battery first so i can have tinker around with it, don't really know where to start with it to be honest.
Also dont know what battery to buy.  I don't want to spend a lot of money on one to start with as i haven't got a lot left. If and when its on the road i would invest in a good one.

paulywombats

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2017, 02:44:05 PM »

Batteries for the Pan are from £30 upwards.

terry t

« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2017, 03:04:12 PM »

I haven't had it running, the battery is completely dead as you would expect, took a chance and put it on charge. completely knackered a bit like me really lol. My brother has a battery charger come jump pack so we connected it to the bike and it sounded like the solenoid was clicking  but the power wasn't getting to the started motor.   
So i need to get a battery first so i can have tinker around with it, don't really know where to start with it to be honest.
Also dont know what battery to buy.  I don't want to spend a lot of money on one to start with as i haven't got a lot left. If and when its on the road i would invest in a good one.

If your trying to start it with the old dead battery fitted. Try using  jump leads from a car with the engine running it will give a bit more power
merv

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2017, 08:38:53 PM »

Well i dont how good it is but i have ordered a battery 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Powerline-Nano-Gel-Upgrade-Battery-HONDA-ST-1100-Pan-European-89-02-YTX14-BS/251437711069?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3

paulywombats

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2017, 08:52:35 PM »

Should be fine, either flush fresh fuel through, or connect to a remote supply to give it a good chance.

Also if it doesn't start straight off and the battery starts running down, don't flog it to death. Better to recharge and try again later.

I usually do what Terry suggests and hook the good battery to a jump lead from car with engine running, If it starts you still have a charged battery on the Pan.

merv

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2017, 09:19:40 PM »

Thats a good idea jumping it of a car with a charged battery on the bike except i cant get a car to it. The bike came with no wheels, i only just managed to get it out the back
I now have another axle, so i need to think about the swing arm, anybody have any ideals.
What did you mean paulywombats that the swing arm had an offset ?

terry t

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2017, 09:50:24 AM »

Merv the offset is taken from the centre line of the bike put mark the swing arm and then measure from that mark to the edge of the swing arm the difference is the off set
May only be 10 to 15mm but enough to throw the new one out
merv

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2017, 05:49:46 PM »

Could you do me a drawing?
What would be the best material to build it out of, box or tube and what would be the best size of material to use.
How do you accommodate the drive shaft of the bike into the swing arm.
Anyone have plans on building a swing arm for a shaft drive bike.

terry t

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2017, 06:06:50 PM »

Could you do me a drawing?
What would be the best material to build it out of, box or tube and what would be the best size of material to use.
How do you accommodate the drive shaft of the bike into the swing arm.
Anyone have plans on building a swing arm for a shaft drive bike.

You cant really do a drawing to work from to make a swing arm. I had mine on the bench worked out the centre and cut and made as I went along.

paulywombats  brought a premade one for his trike.
merv

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2017, 06:13:59 PM »

I have to be honest i didn't like the one paulywombats bought, it didn't look strong enough.
How do you accommodate the drive shaft of the bike into the swing arm

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15
  Print  

Jump to: