April 25, 2024, 03:30:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Driving licence renewal  (Read 2300 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: October 19, 2017, 08:21:13 PM »

I've just renewed my driving licence online. Now they've got your photo on, they have to be replaced every 10 years -for a fee obviously Sad
14 quid online or 17 if you do it at a Post Office. Can't be done by post.
If you have a current passport, they can use the photo & signature from that. You type in your passport number, name, address etc & it's done. They also asks for your National Insurance number.
So the DVLA computer obviously has access to all the other data the Government holds on you.

I'm not sure whether to be impressed that the digital age has made such transactions so quick & easy, or disturbed that I can be cross-checked & validated so quickly & easily.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
paulywombats

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 08:59:41 PM »

Unfortunately Andy due to our boarders being open to so many, this is what now has to happen to protect our liberties.

I thought I was wrong once, it turned out I was incorrect!
Living on a wing and a weld
Baychimp

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 09:06:04 PM »

Be disturbed. Not only do they sell your details on for a fee, they have in the past lost many peoples information. Thousands of names, addresses, National Insurance numbers,and bank details. A cousin of mine works at the DVLA and one of her bosses had there Laptop stolen from there car, with a lot of this sort of information on it. They where working from home had  place the Computer in the car,gone back inside for 10 minutes, when they came back broken window Laptop gone along with all that data.  
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 09:20:03 PM »

You have to cut the old licence in half & return it to them when you receive the new one. I'll be checking it very carefully to make sure I've still got all the categories that are on the old one. I've heard several cases of people losing their motorcycle entitlement & DVLA refusing to reinstate it as they had no record of it.

paulywombats

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 10:19:31 PM »

I always take photo copies of everything and send it with a signature required at their end.

I nearly lost an entitlement until I sent them a copy of the old licence, they then reinstated it! Nuff said.

I thought I was wrong once, it turned out I was incorrect!
Living on a wing and a weld
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 10:52:50 PM »

I tried to renew mine with my passport and they told me they didn't recognise my passport details!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
poprodder

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 04:22:38 AM »

just done all this for mother-in -law, for change of address.
no 5min job!!!!!!!

Olds

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 05:16:48 AM »

I tried to renew mine with my passport and they told me they didn't recognise my passport details!

The way information is slowly being gathered and linked between Gov. departments, how long before an error in one area, means that all your details are wrong/deleted.

Perhaps you no longer exist.  Shocked

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 09:17:20 AM »

I remember an episode of the Twighlight Zone, or Outer Limits where that happened!

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 04:03:32 PM »

Actually on second thought I think I was trying to renew my passport using my driving licence, rather than the other way round.  Didn't work anyway.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 08:34:44 PM »

Smiley My new one arrived in the Post today. All entitlements still intact. You have to cut the old one in half & send it back to them.

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 07:26:44 AM »

Keep it in the draw just to spite them ? Grin

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Olds

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 08:42:10 AM »

I 'lost' mine in the shredder  Cheesy Perhaps yours could get lost in the post. Grin

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 08:58:19 AM »

Smiley You have to tick a box online to confirm you'll send it back. The old one expires in December anyway.

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 12:36:06 PM »

I have had to renew mine every 3 years now for the past.....! and did not return the paper one, similar reasons as Olds Wink Wink Wink..Morrag
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 11:00:14 PM by morrag » Logged

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: