April 16, 2024, 08:02:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Local live music  (Read 1507 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: October 15, 2017, 01:16:35 PM »

I love small music gigs. Can't beat a band playing their hearts out in an intimate sized venue.
I was at the monthly Basingstoke Blues club last night, watching Crossfire. Marcus is just 13 years old -technically too young to be allowed into the railway social club, but an amazing talent. His guitar waa bigger than he was but boy, could he play. How young do you have to start to be that good, with your own band at that age?!
The singer, Alice, was amazing. Such a powerful voice with the personality & confidence to go with it.
3 hours of stonking blues & soul, including 2 guest spots by other guitarists, for 8 quid.
Why would you sit at home watching Britain's Got No Discernable Talent Whatsoever, when you can have a great night out like that. Support your local gigs & events please! Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 01:17:19 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 01:17:47 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 01:18:11 PM »

Baychimp

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 09:48:18 PM »

You managed to get to both gigs in the end then.
JayJay

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 12:09:49 AM »

Sky Arts have a programme called Guitar Star. They have had two series so far. Fair enough it is reality TV but at least the ones chosen have some talent.

The series starts off with an amazing day of auditions in which a mix of undiscovered hopefuls, from all different backgrounds, showcase styles ranging from rock and jazz to classical. From them, the three star mentors will choose eight finalists they believe could win the competition's grand prize: the chance to perform a spectacular set at Britain's famous Latitude Festival.

During the competition, the contestants will work with their mentors to develop their technique, showmanship and creativity and be treated to live performances from some of the greatest guitar stars around. As well as collaborating with leading musicians, they'll also get the chance to record a track at the world-famous Abbey Road Studios.

Ultimately, just three finalists are chosen by the main judges at Latitude Festival, where the winning guitarist is revealed and then she or he plays their set.

Tony Visconti is a judge and oversees the Abbey Road recordings. That is a brilliant prize in itself.

Tony Visconti is currently on the TV with Tony Visconti’s Unsigned Heroes which I'm taping. The legendary music producer is on the hunt for the greatest undiscovered musical talent across the UK and Ireland, aided by mentors Imelda May and Stewart Copeland.

I haven't watched any yet but I'm looking forward to them. Trouble is they are both on Sky Arts so not so good if you don't have access.

Anyway, my main point and why I started writing this was because both series of Guitar Star have had some brilliant young guitarists. A couple a similar age to Marcus. I think there was a boy about 10yrs old but I can't remember their name.

Guitar Star - Billy Watman aged 14yrs in this clip.
https://youtu.be/m6gHZVmorYY

Guitar Star - Ben Cornish aged 13yrs in this clip.
https://youtu.be/7jJGdhXU10E

In this clip we have Ayla Gezmis from Northen England, not from the programme but someone who is unbelievable and who had just passed her grade 8 electric guitar exam. She was 10 yrs old! She is now 16/17 yrs old (funnily enough there is another girl called Ayla from Canada, also about the same age who is also a very good guitarist - who'd have thunk it  Smiley).
https://youtu.be/WQPGFGZD6wY

The winner of series 2 wasn't young but his guitar playing is superb and I don't like jazz. Here is Zahn Mohammed playing for Tony Iommi.
https://youtu.be/UHv5RVowpQU

Check them out Andy, like with Marcus, I think you will be impressed. It's great to see youngsters doing things other than sitting in front of an xbox.  Cool

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 10:39:45 AM »

Thanks. I'll have a look.
I was at a steam event earlier the same evening -always lots of kids tending their own machinery or helping with their Dad's. Youngsters do get a bad press -& most deserve it -but there are plenty of good ones too.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 10:41:34 AM »

Yes Bob -stayed at the steam event till about 8, then looked at my watch & thought If I leave now, I can still make the Blues Club gig at 9. So did 2 events in one evening. I was stood at the bar at the Blues Club & someone said Can you smell smoke? -it was me!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 10:43:13 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

trev

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 11:34:42 AM »

Sky Arts have a programme called Guitar Star. They have had two series so far. Fair enough it is reality TV but at least the ones chosen have some talent.

The series starts off with an amazing day of auditions in which a mix of undiscovered hopefuls, from all different backgrounds, showcase styles ranging from rock and jazz to classical. From them, the three star mentors will choose eight finalists they believe could win the competition's grand prize: the chance to perform a spectacular set at Britain's famous Latitude Festival.

During the competition, the contestants will work with their mentors to develop their technique, showmanship and creativity and be treated to live performances from some of the greatest guitar stars around. As well as collaborating with leading musicians, they'll also get the chance to record a track at the world-famous Abbey Road Studios.

Ultimately, just three finalists are chosen by the main judges at Latitude Festival, where the winning guitarist is revealed and then she or he plays their set.

Tony Visconti is a judge and oversees the Abbey Road recordings. That is a brilliant prize in itself.

Tony Visconti is currently on the TV with Tony Visconti’s Unsigned Heroes which I'm taping. The legendary music producer is on the hunt for the greatest undiscovered musical talent across the UK and Ireland, aided by mentors Imelda May and Stewart Copeland.

I haven't watched any yet but I'm looking forward to them. Trouble is they are both on Sky Arts so not so good if you don't have access.

Anyway, my main point and why I started writing this was because both series of Guitar Star have had some brilliant young guitarists. A couple a similar age to Marcus. I think there was a boy about 10yrs old but I can't remember their name.

Guitar Star - Billy Watman aged 14yrs in this clip.
https://youtu.be/m6gHZVmorYY

Guitar Star - Ben Cornish aged 13yrs in this clip.
https://youtu.be/7jJGdhXU10E

In this clip we have Ayla Gezmis from Northen England, not from the programme but someone who is unbelievable and who had just passed her grade 8 electric guitar exam. She was 10 yrs old! She is now 16/17 yrs old (funnily enough there is another girl called Ayla from Canada, also about the same age who is also a very good guitarist - who'd have thunk it  Smiley).
https://youtu.be/WQPGFGZD6wY

The winner of series 2 wasn't young but his guitar playing is superb and I don't like jazz. Here is Zahn Mohammed playing for Tony Iommi.
https://youtu.be/UHv5RVowpQU

Check them out Andy, like with Marcus, I think you will be impressed. It's great to see youngsters doing things other than sitting in front of an xbox.  Cool

unsigned heroes is worth watching,some good talent on there,my favorite was a band called Hello Operator.

yes but can blue men sing the whites?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 11:53:51 AM »

I can't play a single note on any instrument, but really appreciate those who can. It's an amazing​ ability to have.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: