March 28, 2024, 09:30:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First MOT date to be extended  (Read 994 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: October 06, 2017, 07:35:37 PM »

Apparently plans are afoot to extend the period before the first MOT's due on new cars from 3 years to 4 years, because modern cars are deemed more reliable now.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 08:20:49 PM »

This would bring it into line with the EU minimum testing at four years. After the first test the minimum is every two years, though I believe that certain EU countries, have a very different idea of what constitutes a road safety test.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 09:24:45 PM »

Aah, yes, European harmonisation sounds like the logical reason doesn't it.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
poprodder

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 07:10:36 PM »

be lots of cars with knackered tyres and brakes.
my 25yr old daily passed its mot again this week, was talking to testers(real old school father and son mot only garage)
they recon the state of first mot vehicles is shocking. thats after 3yrs, no idea what they would be like after 4!!!!!

the coppersmith

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 07:33:36 PM »

I've just visited DVLA about my red rooster build. Seems things aren't quite as black as they seem on my front and the 88 engine rule may not apply to kits. Seems a lot of people will be getting calls and a Q plate. This is being driven by EU and our government are forced to comply and pass it on to DVLA to enforce.
minimutly

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 09:52:07 PM »

I can't see how the Eu can "force" us to do anything anymore, more likely the people who've spent years "harmonising" are too proud and or stubborn to say - "well that was a waste of time wasn't it, thanks for paying our wages, good while it lasted". It might mean they should resign, or wait for the p45 (a la theresa May), so they carry on with the nonsense...
Soon be part of uk law anyway, shame we didn't leave 2 years earlier eh?
There you go, I've done it again, sorry.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: