March 28, 2024, 09:33:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Aggressive driving  (Read 7647 times)
Baychimp

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 10:17:08 PM »

The people who wind me up the most are the ones that don't use their Indicators. I followed a man on the M3 today who was old enough to know better, didn't use his Indicators once, either pulling out to overtake or to pull back into the lane.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 10:40:55 PM »

So, the lesson we've learnt here is stay away from blue disabled badge holders Smiley Jay, you do realise the speed limit's the maximum speed, not a compulsory one? Smiley
Yeah, it's not just youngsters is it. General driving standards just seem to have plummeted, just in the last couple of years. I worry about getting back on a bike next year when so many people insist on driving 2 feet from my rear bumper in my car. If you dropped the bike or had to suddenly slow for any reason, they'd drive straight over you before they had time to react.
On a seperate issue, my local motorway, the M3, is being turned into a "Smart" m/way -no hard shoulder. So what happens when you break down? A CCTV operator 20 miles away, switching on a warning sign on an overhead gantry isn't going to stop the speeding moron in his Audi, (shiny grey or otherwise), from ploughing into me.
Faster cars? Less "car guys"? (People used to know their car's limits & drove slower in bad weather for example -now they have no idea how a car works & don't care). It's like a video game -they get in, floor the accelerator pedal & drive just as badly, whatever the conditions.
Courtesy's seen as a sign of weakness. Just feels like driving's become very aggressive, confrontational & competitive. Maybe I am just getting old, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:43:17 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
JayJay

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 12:56:30 AM »

So, the lesson we've learnt here is stay away from blue disabled badge holders Smiley Jay, you do realise the speed limit's the maximum speed, not a compulsory one? Smiley

Blue Badges indeed!  Tongue Cheesy That is what I was taught. If a single carriageway is suitable for that speed (and therefore marked as such) and road conditions have been taken into account then everybody should be travelling close to that speed. I did that on my test and passed first time. The police can stop you, especially on the motorway for going too slow, as it not only hinders the flow of traffic but also could cause an accident, as other drivers have an expectation of you travelling fairly quickly. As for indicators Baychimp, my parents always used to laugh at me because I indicated off their drive onto a narrow lane but I figure if you use them for all turning or changing lane manoeuvres then it becomes an automatic response on those occasions. Plus just because you can't see a moving car, a driver might be waiting for you to pass before pulling away and it is annoying for them if you then turn off the road without indicating and they needn't have waited.

Yeah, it's not just youngsters is it. General driving standards just seem to have plummeted, just in the last couple of years. I worry about getting back on a bike next year when so many people insist on driving 2 feet from my rear bumper in my car. If you dropped the bike or had to suddenly slow for any reason, they'd drive straight over you before they had time to react.

You will be pleased to know Andy I am especially nice to motorbikes. I always look twice and I always make room for them to pass when they are passing all us car drivers sitting in a queue. 

On a seperate issue, my local motorway, the M3, is being turned into a "Smart" m/way -no hard shoulder. So what happens when you break down? A CCTV operator 20 miles away, switching on a warning sign on an overhead gantry isn't going to stop the speeding moron in his Audi, (shiny grey or otherwise), from ploughing into me.

I think this is a terrible idea and someone's idea of a great fix to the congestion without really taking into account the number of breakdowns you see on our motorways. Isn't this happinging on the M25 too? It is just a nasty accident waiting to happen plus we know how bad it gets when a lane closes and everyone has to filter over. Madness!  Shocked

Faster cars? Less "car guys"? (People used to know their car's limits & drove slower in bad weather for example -now they have no idea how a car works & don't care). It's like a video game -they get in, floor the accelerator pedal & drive just as badly, whatever the conditions.
Courtesy's seen as a sign of weakness. Just feels like driving's become very aggressive, confrontational & competitive. Maybe I am just getting old, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks it.

I'm very polite as long as you don't cut me up and I'll happily let drivers out as long as they are not forcing their way out or speeding down a 30 mph rat run to beat the queue. I am particularly nice to bus drivers you will be pleased to know Paulywombats because I figure if I let you out, it not only allows you to meet your schedule but your passengers as well.  Cheesy   

And finally I knew my first response would get the keyboards going. I have my moments but usually, as I mentioned above, I put thought into my driving. I try not to impede other drivers and I try to generally keep traffic moving with a smile and a wave.

It is nice though to read and post on a thread where people have strong feelings about a subject.
  Smiley

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
l j shaw

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 05:25:28 AM »

How long ago was the speed limit set ?? ....drum brakes all round etc etc ...the automotive world has made great leaps forward ....why is the speed limit still in the dark ages ....if you want to stick with the old rules why have we disposed of the person walking in front of your car with a red flag

Let's have the limit moved upto 85mph in keeping with modern tech ..
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 08:38:39 AM »

I don't think JJs buggy can do 85 ?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 10:07:44 AM »

I'm still driving on drum brakes, crossply tyres, wobbly steering box ... Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
l j shaw

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 01:12:04 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy so do I sometimes .but my more modern car has a lot more improvements ....the only time it has drum brakes is when I'm carrying them in the back lol
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 05:39:24 PM »

Why is every body in such a rush....to get where?...... Huh

Beware the Ides of March, But!
stinkey

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 07:09:43 PM »

Why is every body in such a rush....to get where?...... Huh
to get back of course ? Roll Eyes

l j shaw

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 05:53:02 AM »

If your not in a rush ...why have a car ....use public transport ? 

As said I want to get home ASAP
stinkey

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 07:24:19 AM »

Public transport ?? Here in my village we have ONE bus a day (but not on weekends ) gets here at 8am and back at 4pm ( school kids )

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 02:00:26 PM »

In a rush to get to the back of the next queue!   

I get irritated when drivers seem to take forever to pull away from traffic lights or at a junction.  Once the light is green, GO!  They should have already put it in gear and have a hand on the handbrake, that's what the amber is for.

And when they pull out in front of me and then go as slow as possible for ages so I catch them up and have to brake.

And the one that Mike and I were moaning about yesterday - when they park in the street and open their door as you approach!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Baychimp

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2017, 11:32:46 PM »

I have a funny story about people opening their doors as you get to them. Many years ago I was driving an Articulated Lorry along Totteridge lane in North London,which is just a ordinary suburban road when the driver two cars in front pulled over to the kerb outside a Newsagents shop. The car in front of me put his foot down and sped up, I took a little longer to get up to speed, just as I drew level with the back of the car the driver threw open her door wide. There was little I could do,I smashed into it ripping it off the vehicle,I stopped about 25 feet later with the door under the front of the truck. I got out and walked round the front picked up the afore mentioned door and proceeded back to the car with the item in Arms. The driver a woman in her fortys was sat frozen behind the wheel. I leant the door against the wing and said " I think his must belong to you". A young lady who was trying to help burst out laughing at this,she managed to clap her hand over her mouth turn round and walk to the back of the car and stand  facing away but I could see her shoulders moving up and down as she was laughing. I can chuckle about this now but I didn't find it at all funny at the time because if she had done what a lot of people do, open the door whilst getting out at same time her leg could have been over the sill and I could have taken that and the door at the same time. But luckily it ended with no one being hurt.
stinkey

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 07:18:36 AM »

I have a funny story (not ) my first day out on the knowledge ,riding along on my moped going south from Tavistock place..a taxi driver ( past his prime ) opened his door as I went past,I tried to swerve but had a car overtaking me, so my knee clipped the taxi door and I was being dragged along the bonnet of a nice little MGB who braked sharp which sent me tumbling forward onto the road,right outside a big hotel..my buddy who was in front hadn't noticed my dilemma and carried on ..he returned a few mins later to find a big crowd of people standing round some poor chap on the floor (me) who was being strangled by some council worker who was tugging with all his might to pull off my crash helmet which was still strapped onto my head ? Embarrassed

poprodder

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2017, 04:13:01 PM »

to pull back into the lane.

you don't need to indicate to return to previous lane.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: