March 28, 2024, 10:39:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hub caps  (Read 1118 times)
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« on: August 15, 2017, 06:28:03 AM »

Just after the MOT the other week I discovered that I had lost one of the hub nut caps off the back axle, looked for some on Fleabay and found some but £25 for a set was extortionate.
Decided to make some myself, 10 minutes on the computer to draw one, set up the printer for an overnight print, next morning I had a pair of new ones, cost £1.30 in plastic and about £3 in electricity (not that I pay for either)

Bit of cleaning up, tape is to hold them in place whilst the glue dries. (if I had made them 1mm bigger I wouldn't have needed to glue them)  

Hoping to spray the wheels semi-gloss black soon.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 06:29:44 AM by TwistedPatience » Logged

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 01:47:19 PM »

Wow. That's amazing isn't it. I'm fascinated by technology like that. Creating something from thin air. Draw something, then a machine churns it out & you have a solid object you can hold in your hand -& fit on your bike.
Tomorrow's World has arrived!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:57:10 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 01:51:51 PM »

I know you work with that kind of stuff, but that technolgy's filtered down to us normal punters really quickly hasn't it.
When I was on holiday in New York recently I passed a 3D printing shop. The modern equivalent of a photo copying shop I guess. Take your design in & they'd print it while you waited, or collect the next day. Techytastic Smiley

TwistedPatience

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 02:51:27 PM »

The tech is nearly 40 years old now, has still been accepted very quickly.
There are quite a few print houses in the UK too.
Now that the printers and materials are readily available more and more folk are actually buying their own, as are schools and colleges.
It fits in well with Design technology, which replaced Wood work, Metal work and Tech Drawing.

TwistedPatience

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 04:16:58 PM »

This is one of my favourites, about 6 inches long 3 high, made of ABS and took about 12 hours.
From a french film called Margot I think.
Jet pack is removable

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 08:59:21 PM »

Grin

JayJay

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 09:01:09 PM »

The film is called Margo. The dog, an English Bull Terrier, is called Eddie. He can also be found in the sidecar of a combo. It was an animated movie with all the pieces created with a 3D Printer. I haven't seen it but I had heard about it because it came up while looking for stuff on EBTs.  Smiley

It is fantastic and fascinating technology and I enjoy reading about it to understand exactly what is possible. It seems practically anything especially in medicine and reconstructive surgery.

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: