March 28, 2024, 10:49:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some Opinions  (Read 4641 times)
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« on: August 14, 2017, 09:33:23 AM »

So, I've got this trike which I have loved a lot, but I can't ride it any distance now and it's just got to go.  But there's a problem with the axle.    Bruce from BB Customs, who originally built the trike, told me it was the diff but I'm not sure, I think it may be a failure of the shortened half shaft.  Anyway Bruce isn't interested in fixing it, he's made that quite plain, possibly because we've had a falling out in the past.

But there's a bloke in Somerset who can sort the axle, but I have to take it off and take just the axle to him as there's not room in his workshop for the whole trike.  I can do that with some help from a local mate, but then I'm stuck with the problem of putting it back on.

So I have two options really - get the axle sorted and maybe get it back on but it will still need some sorting out.  Or sell it as it is, for not very much money cos who wants to pay good money for something with an undetermined problem.

So far I keep dithering about what to do and end up doing nothing.  So I thought I'd ask you lot - what would you do?   I've deliberately said I want opinions, cos it's not fair to ask for advice.  Also I'm not angling for anyone to sort it for me, I know that everyone on here has their own projects and their own problems.  Just looking for some opinions to help me make up my mind.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Stix

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 10:34:11 AM »

Bobbi
Get the axle sorted and maybe the mate that helped you take it out can help putting it bac in. This way you will get a half decent price for it rather than  next to nothing cos iteeds serious work.

Stix
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 10:45:26 AM »

I suppose it really depends on the price diff. between selling with the problem sorted, or not. That price difference has obviously to be offset against the cost to you of the proposed repair work to yourself. maybe a better route would be to source a known, good, alternative axle, not easy I know, but more certain of a result I feel. Either way a difficult one Bobby, perhaps cut your losses and move on? or, "pays yer money....etc."  Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Stix

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 12:24:52 PM »

Morrag, I believe the axle has been narrowed so not easy to just but another and stick it in.

Stix
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 04:21:19 PM by Stix » Logged
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 03:41:20 PM »

Depends how its been "narrowed" really, but shouldn't be too difficult, depending on who is doing the job I suppose, but has to be a consideration....Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
the coppersmith

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 04:12:38 PM »

As for putting it back together, I'm sure a few monkee's will assist. I am now retired and for a bottomless cup of tea could help.
minimutly

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 05:08:00 PM »

Get your local helper to remove the axle, unless there is a local monkey willing to strip the axle? You're too far away for me to call it a couple of hours Bobby..
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 05:32:33 PM »

Costs and value are just guesses so not a lot of help in making a decision.  Finding a good reliant axle is a moot point, and getting it shortened as well and the brackets added - it could all be just as expensive as getting the axle fixed.

General concensus seems to be get the axle fixed, I like that idea, I shall do it!

Thanks peeps!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
terry t

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 08:34:26 PM »

Is there any update on this BG
reliantman

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 07:32:14 PM »

BG. My hard drive died so I have only just got back on the forum.

Morrag was good enought to give me a Bedford Rascal axle which has been shortened to 980mm between rear hub faces. The diff is central, but the drive is offset to the right by an inch.

I have been trying to use it but so far have found that it is too short for me. I would like it to go to a good home if possible.

The only drawback is that the gearing is high, and needs at least sixteen inch wheels to work. I bought some 4.5 inch PCD to 100mm adaptors to fit some 16 inch steels off a Vauxhall Zafira, but am keeping them for something else. Wheels that will fit straight onto the Bedford axle are either Honda/Rover 600 or 800 series, or Volvo S40.

If you are interested I am in Cardiff, and would pass it on if we can arrange transport.

Cheers. Doug
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 03:37:16 PM »

Cheers Reliantman, that's a great offer but I think the logistics of fitting a completely different axle would be beyond me, whereas if I get my axle sorted, my mate and I can put it back on the same way it came off, so that the trike's mobile and I can take it to someone who actually knows what they are doing for fine tuning (ie checking we haven't made a hash of it!).

Also my wheels are 15in, and bigger ones might not fit under the mudguards, etc etc.  Sp I will regretfully decline, but I do appreciate the offer!

Terry - no update yet, I've got to swop my garage round a bit as there's stuff I need to get out from the back before the trike becomes immobile!  And been busy with granny stuff and trips in campervan - it's a hard life!   Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: