March 29, 2024, 03:47:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: New fossil fuel cars banned from 2040?  (Read 7414 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: July 25, 2017, 11:03:06 PM »

The Independent Online

New diesel and petrol cars and vans will be banned from 2040 as part of efforts to tackle air pollution, the Government is expected to announce.
A £255m fund is expected to be unveiled to help councils speed up local measures to deal with pollution from diesel vehicles, as part of £3bn spending on air quality.
Yet critics said the 2040 ban was "too little too late", with the Liberal Democrats calling for new diesel sales to end by 2025.

The Government is set to include the measures in a court-mandated clean air strategy due to be published on Wednesday, just days before the deadline set by the High Court.
The expected move to ban petrol and diesel vans and cars follows similar plans announced in France this month and amid increasing signs that the shift to electric vehicles is accelerating.
On Tuesday, BMW announced plans for an electric Mini to be assembled at its Oxford plant while earlier this month Volvo unveiled its moves towards cleaner cars.

The Government was ordered to produce new plans to tackle illegal levels of harmful pollutant nitrogen dioxide after the courts agreed with environmental campaigners that a previous set of plans were insufficient to meet EU pollution limits.
Despite government efforts to delay publication of the plans until after the general election, ministers were forced to set out the draft plans in May, with the final measures due by July 31.
It is thought ministers will also consult on a diesel scrappage scheme to take the dirtiest vehicles off the road.
Campaigners have demanded the final plans should include government-funded and mandated clean air zones, with charges for the most polluting vehicles to enter areas with high air pollution, as well as a diesel scrappage scheme.
Their calls for charging zones were backed up by an assessment published alongside the draft plans which suggested they were the most effective measures to tackle nitrogen dioxide, much of which comes from diesel vehicles.
But ministers have been wary of being seen to "punish" drivers of diesel cars, who they claim bought the vehicles in good faith after being encouraged to by the last Labour government on the basis they produced lower carbon emissions.
They favour local measures such as retrofitting buses and other transport to make them cleaner, changing road layouts and even altering features such as speed humps and re-programming traffic lights to make traffic flow more smoothly to reduce pollution.
The expected move to ban diesel and petrol cars and vans by 2040 comes after similar plans were announced in France this month and amid increasing signs that the shift to electric vehicles is accelerating, with BMW announcing plans for an electric Mini and Volvo unveiling its moves towards cleaner cars.

Air pollution is linked to around 40,000 premature deaths a year in the UK, and transport also makes up a significant share of greenhouse gas emissions.
A government spokesman said: "Poor air quality is the biggest environmental risk to public health in the UK and this government is determined to take strong action in the shortest time possible.
"That is why we are providing councils with new funding to accelerate development of local plans, as part of an ambitious £3bn programme to clean up dirty air around our roads.
"Our plan to deal with dirty diesels will help councils clean up emissions hotspots – often a single road – through common sense measures which do not unfairly penalise ordinary working people.
"Diesel drivers are not to blame and, to help them switch to cleaner vehicles, the Government will consult on a targeted scrappage scheme, one of a number of measures to support motorists affected by local plans."
Co-leader of the Green Party Caroline Lucas welcomed the change, but said a scrappage scheme and other measures were needed immediately to reduce emissions.

The Liberal Democrat shadow transport secretary Jenny Randerson said: “By scrapping the scrappage scheme the government have U-turned on their offer a life line to the millions of owners of diesel cars up and down the country. This is a betrayal to drivers everywhere.
“Air pollution is poisoning our children and leading to causing avoidable deaths across the country. Instead of properly fighting this silent killer the government has flip-flopped, offering tax breaks for cars that they are now banning. The governments feeble attempts to tackle air pollution are too little too late.
“The government needs to take drastic action to end this public health crisis, every moment they sit on their hands more people are breathing in and dying from polluted air.
“The Liberal Democrats have called for all new diesel sales to end by 2025 and a scrappage scheme to help drivers convert to greener vehicles. We are serious about fighting air pollution, this government is not.”

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
the coppersmith

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 09:39:27 AM »

I recently had a welding job at the local Tungsten Mine, they have electric trucks about the size of Suzuki vans. No trouble with pulling a welding plant and loads of welding leads around. The site engineer reckons they are good for 50mph but only last about 70 miles before needing the charge, so basically useless then on a trip. We joked about solar panels on the roof keeping them going. Interested in using one in the kit car, seems there is a Welsh kit car with electric motor to standard gearbox around, will try to find a link. On the plus side 2040 is a long way off, I doubt I'll be fit to drive then  Cheesy
JayJay

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 12:05:45 AM »

... On the plus side 2040 is a long way off, I doubt I'll be fit to drive then  Cheesy

That's what I was thinking. My diesel car will be long gone by then. Somehow I don't think it will be a "Classic". I would be 80 so probably dead or away with the fairies and oblivious of the Government's (if we even have one by then) motoring and/or environmental policies. Even though it was a previous Government  that encouraged us to buy diesels because of their low emissions. Yep, we should always trust what they say. They always know what's best for us!  Undecided

However, in the mean time all these pols and bigwigs are happy to jet around the world, raining jet fuel wherever they go on the people below but nobody seems bothered by that. Anyone who goes to the Kempton Jumble knows you can even taste the jet fuel in the air.

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 09:26:36 AM »

I won't be around to worry about it!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
dr big750

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 11:34:06 AM »

How will the goverment pull in tax if no petrol or diesel fuel to tax to the last lol
the coppersmith

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 12:02:32 PM »

I may invent the horse and trap, make a mint and sell the "by product" to make methane. Fossil fuel? time some person cleverer then me got their thinking cap on, Hydrogen?
Baychimp

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 06:43:40 PM »

What I find funny is the two party's that are most eager to implement this,if given the job wouldn't have a clue how to go about it.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 08:00:18 PM »

How will the goverment pull in tax if no petrol or diesel fuel to tax to the last lol

They haven't taxed the air we breath yet...................

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Olds

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 06:09:53 AM »

They haven't taxed the air we breath yet...................

Shush BG. Don't give them ideas !

I have no idea why most parties involved are pushing the battery electric agenda. As I understand it, at the moment there is no large scale process or facilities for recycling the types of battery used in these vehicles. There isn't even a standard type of battery and each type would likely need a very different process.
It seems to me that at our present level of technology, the use of Hydrogen in a combustion engine would be the most obvious choice, though we would have to accept a reduction in power output to get nitrogen dioxide emissions to a near zero level.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 06:25:26 AM »

Since when has any government had any clue about the real world ? They will £@&! Up your life every time and charge you for the privilege ,I've seen what hydrogen power can do and still keep the engines we have,combine it with an electrical motor maybe ? And BG if they could they would ?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
melosman

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 06:21:42 PM »

So let's presume diesel/petrol car production stops in 2040 and all new vehicles will be electric, what happens to all the petrol and diesel vehicles that are on the road.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 07:26:05 PM »

Presumably they'll be taxed off the road.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 07:46:39 PM »

So let's presume diesel/petrol car production stops in 2040 and all new vehicles will be electric, what happens to all the petrol and diesel vehicles that are on the road.
Hot rodders will have converted them into something else? Roll Eyes

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
minimutly

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2017, 10:44:35 PM »

Well i read it as petrol and diesel only, meaning petrol or diesel hybrids will be fine?
If I'm wrong, there will be less and less fuel available daily, which means it will cost more, which will drive everyone to Scalextrix cars, eventually petrol and diesel will be so difficult to get and costly, it wont be worth bothering with....
I do think that hydrogen might be the answer though, well that and maybe a horse and cart. It's a pity the politicians don't sort out the real isues though, diesel busses and taxies in the cities?
minimutly

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 10:46:12 PM »

Actually, if the politicians get what they want, it will be funny as hell, London will be buried under a mountain of horse s**t..
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: