March 29, 2024, 08:40:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Teleportation possible?  (Read 1135 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: July 13, 2017, 07:12:31 PM »

Interesting piece in Time magazine.
We're often told something can't possibly be invented, only for new technology to make it possible a few years later.

Scientists have successfully teleported an object from Earth to space for the first time, paving the way for more ambitious and futuristic breakthroughs.

A team of researchers in China sent a photon from the ground to an orbiting satellite more than 300 miles above through a process known as quantum entanglement, according to MIT Technology Review. It’s the farthest distance tested so far in teleportation experiments, the researchers said. Their work was published online on the open access site arXiv.
For about a month, the scientists beamed up millions of photons from their ground station in Tibet to the low-orbiting satellite. They were successful in more than 900 cases.
“This work establishes the first ground-to-satellite up-link for faithful and ultra-long-distance quantum teleportation, an essential step toward global-scale quantum Internet,” the team said in a statement, according to MIT Technology Review.
The MIT-owned magazine described quantum entanglement as a “strange phenomenon” that occurs “when two quantum objects, such as photons, form at the same instant and point in space and so share the same existence.” “In technical terms, they are described by the same wave function,” it said.
The latest development comes almost a year after physicists successfully conducted the world’s first quantum teleportation outside of a laboratory. Scientists at that time determined quantum teleportation, which is often depicted as a futuristic tool in science-fiction films, is in fact possible.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Baychimp

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 07:17:23 PM »

Beam me up Scotty!  Grin
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 08:22:13 PM »

A photon.

Does anyone even know what a photon IS?

Well this is what it is.....
A photon is an elementary particle, the quantum of the electromagnetic field including electromagnetic radiation such as light, and the force carrier for the electromagnetic force (even when static via virtual photons). ... The quanta in a light wave cannot be spatially localized.

Right so - beam me up is not happening now or for a very VERY long time!  If ever...............

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
JayJay

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 08:01:26 PM »

Interesting Andy. I know very little about the science but love to read about it and have quite a few books on the subject including an OU one. It is fascinating. The Schrödinger's Cat thought experiment alone is enough to blow anyone's mind.  Huh  Shocked

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Olds

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 08:25:48 PM »

Gave up trying to understand a long time ago. My brain goes into melt down every time I look at the stars and think about what's beyond space let alone how it all works.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 08:58:15 PM »

As it comes ? And it's on it's way..I was just looking at full size drones which attach to your car ?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: