April 25, 2024, 02:10:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes to driving test  (Read 1703 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: July 05, 2017, 07:22:09 AM »

Apparently there will be some changes to the British car driving test in December.
They're removing the 3 point turn & reversing out of a parking space, as well as reversing around corners & adding crossing the street to park on the right hand side.

Can't believe they're taking out the 3 point turn. Surely that's always going to be a required skill?
I live around the corner from the local tech college. They charge the students to use their carpark, so obviously they all park in the nearby side streets instead, (a huge bone of contention with residents). I know youngsters' driving skills have always been poor & I'm sure mine were no better, but some have to be seen to be believed. The road I live in's a dead end, so they have to do a 3 point turn to get back out. Some couldn't do it with a gun to their head -& they're very often the muppets in lowered hatchbacks who think they're extras from Fast n Furious films.
How does dumbing down the test make them safer drivers?!  
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:13:18 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 07:55:48 AM »

Thought one of the reasons for a three point turn was so you could park on the other side of the road and be the correct way around. Parallel reverse parking is very much a skill still required as is reversing generally though we have muppets around here, who don't seem to know that their car can also go backwards. Meet them on country lanes frequently.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 08:00:56 AM »

Grin

l j shaw

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 05:27:53 PM »

Taking out the 3 point turn and replacing it with the handbrake turn ....bliss we can do it all legal like lol lol
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 06:19:52 PM »

Actually the "Three Point turn" was an unofficial term, the examiner would have said..." turn the car to face the opposite direction, using forward and reverse gears" or words to that effect,so there you have it Mr M, it was already in the test!! so all that was required was to leave it alone! and don't get me started on hill starts!!.... Angry Angry Angry Angry

Beware the Ides of March, But!
poprodder

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 07:36:01 PM »

and all commands will come from satnav.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 10:16:13 PM »

Yup, SatNavs are in the test now.
20 minutes unsupervised driving & setting up & following directions from a SatNav.

Baychimp

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 10:22:50 PM »

Jeez what is the country turning into. Roll Eyes...... Cheesy 

Roads that don't exist, onto Railway lines at level crossings and into Duck Ponds on village greens.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 10:28:16 PM by Baychimp » Logged
dr big750

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 07:58:30 AM »

I always reckoned they should impose parking on the left only, same as some states of Australia, it would reduce the amount of cars facing the wrong direction in lanes when exiting parking spaces, exceptions of course to being in a car park, when it is then a free for all system, and most aggressive driver wins lol.
But all joking aside, courtesy and consideration to others should be taught and a minimum speed limit should be imposed, so overtaking would be at an all time low,and reduce the possibility of accidents related to this.
Only my point of view and maybe not everyones
JayJay

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 08:01:08 PM »

So many cars park:
facing oncoming traffic (not so bad in the day but at night a totally different matter), within close proximity to a side road,
or even opposite a T junction.
All I think you are told not to do in the Highway Code.

I often have to overtake stationary vehicles to then turn immediately left just to get home or have to enter a road on the opposite side because again someone has parked right on the corner.  Angry

Sometimes narrower roads near housing are like chicanes. Real pain if someone is coming the other way as well.

But funnily enough most of us on Manky still like vehicles and driving. Oh and of course, the tinkering!  Roll Eyes  Smiley

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: