March 28, 2024, 12:19:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Olds TS125.  (Read 9219 times)
Olds

« on: July 04, 2017, 10:36:00 PM »

Bike insurance is due for renewal and i just realised that my newest bike is now twenty years old and the little Suzuki is thirty eight years old ! Made in 79 but first registered in 83, I have owned it since 1985.
With that in mind I think it's time to give the TS a little refurb. I want to get it as close to showroom condition as I can. It's generally in excellent condition but items such as the tail light and indicators were replaced with non stock units as they tended to get broken while off roading.
Had some trouble finding a tail light lens as it seems they were only used for a couple of years, but tracked down a supposedly new old stock one in Bangkok. Original indicators are proving to be a problem though as the plastic body ages and cracks easily so I may have to make do with finding some that are close in appearance.
Would like to give the tank a respray as it's not totally dent free but graphics for this year/model are unobtainable and the tank isn't that bad.
At least this is a small project that will keep me busy without too much physical effort required.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 06:46:48 AM »

Photos!  Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 07:25:35 AM »

Smiley OK will do.
Couldn't sleep last night so I made a start. Rear lights frame/lifting handle, number plate mount and tail light body.
This has been knocking around at the back of the garage for the last twenty odd years, so it needed stripping repainting and putting back together with new bolts. Luckily it was small enough to get in the oven.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 07:32:19 AM by Olds » Logged

Olds

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 07:58:10 AM »

Two bits of luck.
 Managed to find the original indicators stashed away in a box in the loft. Only took two hours of searching. Lenses are good and so is the chrome on the shafts but one has a cracked body. It's not bad so perhaps epoxy on the inside will sort it until I find a good one.
 I hate trying to match red paint, It has got to be the worst. The trike (Ford radiant red) is very close in colour to the bike,(that's why I chose it) but not quite. The Halfrauds radiant red spray cans don't match the trike, but are an almost a perfect match to the Suzuki red. Shocked
Side panel got cracked and the mounting lug broken off. Now repaired and resprayed. The centre section is the original paint because of the decals. Not a bad match at all.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 08:01:00 AM by Olds » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 09:49:37 AM »

Damn near perfect. Smiley

Olds

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 12:57:09 PM »

Not so much restored as returned to spec. Still waiting on the new tail lamp lens and need to refinish the lower fork legs but it's not looking too bad for a 79 bike. Most of these were turned into field bikes by about 1985.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 01:59:55 PM »

Nice Smiley

Olds

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 05:57:01 AM »

Thanks Andy. It's not a an old Brit or a custom. just my old green laner but it is special to me.
Forks refinished. As original brushed aluminium finish. Would have been easier attack them with the buffing wheel and polish them but it wouldn't look right.

mrhutch

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 01:27:30 PM »

LOVELY!  had a 1978 back in the day  - was a fantastic bike

I have looked for another from time to time.
Olds

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 05:56:08 AM »

Well the TS passed it's mot yesterday but has developed a small problem. It doesn't want to tick over when warmed up. Looks like a carb clean is next on the list of things I need to do. It's not been done since I changed the reeds about twenty years ago, so perhaps it's about time.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 03:56:43 PM »

Cheesy How's your back Dave? You fit for riding again now?

Olds

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 06:26:52 PM »

Not too bad. I can ride as far as Basingstoke and back, so that's an improvement.  Smiley

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 07:28:12 PM »

Smiley

Olds

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2020, 07:19:08 AM »

Been having running problems with the bike. Would start and run perfectly, but after a few miles, just cut out !  Angry After ten minutes it would run again but only for a short while. Not a fuel problem so reasoned that it was something electrical breaking down when hot.
 Usual suspect for this is the condenser(capacitor), but figured that if I was going to remove the flywheel, which meant buying a puller, as I've no idea where mine are, I might as well change the points. Sod the expense, I'll change the HT coil, lead and plug cap at the same time.
 Did all this and went for a test ride. Running like an absolute dream. Grin  
Five miles out and d'oh ! It cuts out again ! Angry Getting back home was, ride - cut out, let it cool a bit, ride - cut out, let it cool a bit, ride.......................
 Problem turned out to be really simple and the one thing I hadn't changed.  The damned spark plug !
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 07:50:11 AM by Olds » Logged

the coppersmith

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2020, 08:41:40 AM »

it is often the simplest thing innit.  Grin
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: