April 19, 2024, 10:16:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Paulywombats Honda St1100 Conversion  (Read 42160 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #150 on: July 13, 2018, 12:26:52 PM »

Only 2 years old then?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
paulywombats

« Reply #151 on: July 13, 2018, 12:37:31 PM »

I've always liked you team leader.

How's the Big Apple?

I thought I was wrong once, it turned out I was incorrect!
Living on a wing and a weld
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #152 on: July 13, 2018, 12:41:45 PM »

Smiley Just woken up after a very late night last night. 8.30am here & 85 degrees. Feeling knackered after a long day travelling yesterday, so might just have a day of mooching about around the city today. I want to across the water to Brooklyn. Haven't been there yet.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
paulywombats

« Reply #153 on: July 13, 2018, 01:15:55 PM »

Last time I was there I walked from hotel to Empire State Building to see it lit up at night time, probably half an hours walk.

Talking to a guy from New Jersey and his Jewish princess wife the following day at breakfast, he said 'you walked....what are you from Mars?'!

He was so funny, his wife said he gets the car out to go around the block.

All said in that fantastic New York accent. Often use the phrase myself.

Enjoy the stay, I have only fond memories of the state capital.

paulywombats

« Reply #154 on: July 13, 2018, 01:18:09 PM »

Road legal trike, just in time for the weather to break....thanks DVLA, we all love the work you do there (NOT!!)

Insurance via Whittlesey insurance Peterborough £250 for the both of us.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #155 on: July 13, 2018, 04:53:16 PM »

I think it's obligatory for DVLA to lose the paperwork!  They lost mine for 3 weeks, and that was only getting in changed from bike to trike! (kept the original reg as it's a bolt-on).

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
paulywombats

« Reply #156 on: July 15, 2018, 11:32:10 AM »

Now the real work begins.....went out for a shake down ride yesterday evening, waited for it to cool down....both heat and traffic.

Petrol station was the first stop, very close to where I live, petrol gauge is not reading correctly. I put 20 quids worth of the good stuff in, the tank was near empty, and gauge is showing full. Think this will be more to do with sender rather than gauge.Then onto A6 heading North out of Derby. Drove for half an hour, got off to check visually.
Only one of the wheel centre caps dislodged, one of the plastic tangs needed altering and popped back in.

Turned around and headed for home, managed to dare to raise my speed a little. Finding it heavy turning into a bend, my wrist is aching today.

This is probably me not having rode a trike before, and the fact that I want to take it steady until I get used to it.
I am going to experiment with tyre pressures and see how it goes. Any advise on this welcome boys and girls. Smiley

Visual check when home, nothing missing or loose
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 01:57:17 PM by paulywombats » Logged

Stix

« Reply #157 on: July 15, 2018, 02:01:51 PM »

Easiest way to lighten the steering but not the cheapest is to fit raked yokes, another 5degrees makes the steering lighter but might drop the front a touch, I fitted 4inch longer stanchions to get the ride height how I wanted it, it does lessen the steering lock a bit so you might have to modify the bottom yoke to allow a bit more of a turn lock to lock.
paulywombats

« Reply #158 on: July 15, 2018, 03:01:36 PM »

Hi Stix thanks for the advise.

Would I be able to keep the top position of the yoke the same and taper out from there? The offset would remain the same. The wheel would end up further forward.

With how the ST1100 is at the top of the forks there is no room to move anything.

Workshop manual has castor angle of 27deg30 min, and trail of 101mm or 4 inch.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:11:36 PM by paulywombats » Logged

Olds

« Reply #159 on: July 15, 2018, 03:19:39 PM »

Hmm. Normally if raked yokes are used on trikes, it's to increase the rake because what you are trying to achieve is less trail.
Other ways to do this is to use yokes with more offset (distance from steering head shaft to tubes) or changing to leading axle forks.
 A small amount of reduction can be achieved by dropping the front and/or raising the back but this isn't likely to make a huge difference.
Most folk just fit wider bars and build up arm/wrist strength.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:49:33 PM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
paulywombats

« Reply #160 on: July 15, 2018, 03:22:59 PM »

Thanks Olds, back to the gym for me, when I say back....I mean return after 30 years. lol

Olds

« Reply #161 on: July 15, 2018, 03:34:49 PM »

Grin
Take up blacksmithing. It's great for building arm strength.
My bars are 39" wide because the rake on my trike is over 40 degrees and despite the forward axle forks, the trail is excessive. This does mean that the trike steers arrow straight (even on roundabouts  Cheesy)

paulywombats

« Reply #162 on: July 15, 2018, 04:58:38 PM »

Dropped all tyre pressures, 19 psi on rears and 21 psi on front. Handling much better, plus I'm starting to get more used to the feel.

Think I am going to go for a side car tyre on front wheel, mainly for looks.

Olds

« Reply #163 on: July 15, 2018, 05:49:46 PM »

Think I am going to go for a side car tyre on front wheel, mainly for looks.
A good idea and not only for looks. You should get more grip in the wet compared to a motorcycle tyre, because of the wider footprint and it shouldn't wear out as fast.
Check speed / load ratings and also that it can be front fitted, as some are marked for rear use.
Mine are 19" and I was going to use the Avon Triple Duty but ended up fitting a tyre made for vintage car racing.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #164 on: July 16, 2018, 07:40:04 PM »

When I first rode my Kwak GT550 trike round our estate I came back in tears thinking 'I can't do this, it's just not possible'.   Then I realised that the builder had ridden it a few miles to deliver it, so it must be possible.  I juggled with tyre pressure and the air in the forks (lowered the pressure and eventually ended up letting all the air out of the forks).   After a while I didn't even notice - part of the problem is that a trike doesn't steer like a bike, you have to actively steer it - ie one arm pushes while the other one pulls.  Keep riding and after a while you'll wonder what the problem was.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
  Print  

Jump to: