April 26, 2024, 12:14:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Paulywombats Honda St1100 Conversion  (Read 42375 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #180 on: September 23, 2018, 10:10:25 PM »

Good news!
I always built my trike frames with around 45 degrees in the forks, purely because it looked right. They handled nicely with none of the head shaking that standard raked trikes are prone to, but were a little heavy to manoeuvre at carpark speed.
Any photos?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
paulywombats

« Reply #181 on: September 25, 2018, 03:56:00 AM »

Here before paint and final assembly

I thought I was wrong once, it turned out I was incorrect!
Living on a wing and a weld
paulywombats

« Reply #182 on: September 25, 2018, 04:01:16 AM »

rotated view of same

paulywombats

« Reply #183 on: September 25, 2018, 04:05:09 AM »

Modified bottom yolk

paulywombats

« Reply #184 on: September 25, 2018, 04:09:38 AM »

Top yolk after machining out ready for insert to be welded in.
Had to remove the 4 rubber anti vibration bushes before welding aluminium insert. This was a bit of a pain. Used a hole saw to cut through rubber bush, then destroyed the steel cup that was left.

New bushes were priced at 50 quid, so being a good Northener, I bought another top tree for 10 quid and destroyed that to get the bushes out.Upon re assembly the bushes were smeared with oil and hammered home.

The insert was welded in on the top side and then hole machined at 5 degress along with machining to insert on underside.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 04:20:43 AM by paulywombats » Logged

paulywombats

« Reply #185 on: September 25, 2018, 04:24:50 AM »

I used the original bottom yolk and shaft, I ground away the weld holding the shaft to the yolk. Then knocked out the shaft from the yolk.
A steel bush was turned and bored before machining the bottom yolk, again at 5 degrees.

The shaft was then welded in, forks and yolks assembled and bottom yolk welded in place. All machining was undertaken by Martin Mycroft, Mycroft Engineering Long Eaton, and steel welding be Steve Dewis at Dewbar Fabrications of Ilkeston.
Aluminium welding by GIA Engineering, Stapleford.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 04:35:50 AM by paulywombats » Logged

paulywombats

« Reply #186 on: September 25, 2018, 04:41:25 AM »

This kit from the good old US of A was quoted at $1000 + $150 postage, not sure if this included taxes. This was around 880 quid at the time of enquiry.
My costs were 170 pounds including all machining, welding and paints.
Don't get me wrong, the kit is might pretty and sparkly and all geometry has been worked out for you. But where's the fun in placing and order, opening a box when you can escape the everyday mundane and get your hands dirty. I know which I prefer.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 04:46:31 AM by paulywombats » Logged

paulywombats

« Reply #187 on: September 25, 2018, 04:49:07 AM »

Fish supper to celebrate being able to steer without breaking into a sweat.

Look mum, I'm using a knife & fork!!!

paulywombats

« Reply #188 on: September 25, 2018, 04:54:47 AM »

Profile of trike after raking. Front end has dropped slightly, but when my 18 stone bulk is on the trike it looks and feel right, also my feet engage with the ground better which makes reversing easier. I could alter front end height by adding extensions to the forks, but not sure I would gain much, if anything.

Again thanks for all your comments and thanks to Terry T & Olds for much appreciated advise along the way.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 04:59:28 AM by paulywombats » Logged

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #189 on: September 25, 2018, 06:09:42 AM »

Not seen welded yokes for years  Wink well done sir..I once saw a chopper built by a (now defunct ) well known custom shop..they had welded another headstock to the original one to achieve more rake (ooh ?)
It worked but looked terrible..I advised a plate to hide and strengthen it Shocked
My cousin turned up one day on his new ( home built by somebody else) chop..gorgeous bike..rode it for several weeks..then whilst parked outside another well known custom shop..has he went pull away..he heard a big crack ? And felt the bike drop..the frame had cracked at the top just in front of the headstock .. Shocked
Said chopper was duly manhandled into their workshop ,where he was given a quote of £11000  Huh  To strip the bike down and repair/rebuild?? I told him ask again..£6000.. WTF  Undecided I rang the shop asking him to deliver the bike to me..turned out the builder hadn't fitted any type of support between the frame and headstock ..an hour later..I'd finished ..including some paint..he rode off happy but chickened out and sold it on ?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #190 on: September 25, 2018, 08:24:50 AM »

That's a lovely job Pauly.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #191 on: September 25, 2018, 10:24:00 AM »

It is!  Almost a pity it's hidden by the fairing!   It's a good looking trike though.  The only difference I found with the front end drop on having the extended yokes was that it makes the float in the fuel tank - and therefore the fuel gauge - unreliable.  Mine tends to show full for many miles then drop to empty - no problem, I just fill up soon after it drops.
Something to watch out for if you have a fuel gauge and if you tend to rely on it.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
paulywombats

« Reply #192 on: September 25, 2018, 11:11:25 AM »

Thanks MM & BG, That's a good tip BG (adopted mum ), I will indeed watch out for how the gauge reads from now.

I now have a 2.78:1 ratio differential, which I will swap for the 3.23:1 at some point. For now I just want to ride it.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 05:19:25 AM by paulywombats » Logged

the coppersmith

« Reply #193 on: September 25, 2018, 01:18:53 PM »

Like the cut of your cloth old boy. Well thought out bit of old skool engineering. Great to find people still make things. Glad it all comes together well.  Wink Wink
paulywombats

« Reply #194 on: September 25, 2018, 01:39:12 PM »

Thanks coppersmith so far so good.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
  Print  

Jump to: