April 19, 2024, 07:58:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reverse trike - shall I shant I?  (Read 3780 times)
minimutly

« on: March 04, 2018, 05:58:55 PM »

I've been trying to decide what to do with the gpz500 twin I bought a couple of years ago. Up to now it hasn't run, but today I stripped and cleaned the carbs, cleaned the plugs, set the valve clearances, put a jump battery on it, and away it went. Lumpy old thing, nowhere near as sweet as my 750.
Anyway, what to do with it? Strip it for the controls for my next trike, rebuild it as a road bike, or reverse trike?
Reallistically its too rough to become a bike again - there are loads out there in better nick for little money,
So it's between stripping it and reverse trike.
What do you all think - lightweight reverse trike or no?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 06:41:02 PM »

You know you want to! Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
minimutly

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 11:26:58 PM »

Not made a decision on this yet, moving slowly towards turning it into a scrambler/dirt tracker. I know I can fit Yam xt500 forks (and front wheel), to raise it up, a set of motocross bars, and tweek the monoshock at the back.
Is a 500 parallel twin something that might work? With a smaller tank it still wouldn't look pretty, but it's cheap, and could be fun? It needs a chain and sprockets anyway, so fitting a larger one wouldn't be the end of the world.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 07:32:29 AM »

That sounds interesting.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
minimutly

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 09:05:56 PM »

Interesting yes, but has anyone done this?
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 06:45:53 AM »

Well I feel has a dirt track bike it would be on the road for more fun far quicker than making it a trike ?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Sid_Vicious

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 01:47:17 PM »

Interesting yes, but has anyone done this?
Search for ADVriders or Adventureriders.com on the net, there is a lot of streetbikes build to other use on that side.

Nothing is impossible, It just take longer time to figure it out
minimutly

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 11:07:59 PM »

Well I bought  set of uprights today, add the discs, hubs and bearings I already had and I have the beginnings of a reverse trike!
No rush to start, plenty of other stuff still going on, but I will post some pics as we go along. This one is going on a jig before any fabrication starts, I'm hoping not to need an msva, but suspect it will need it.
Shame its only a 500, but it's here.
 I'm hoping for a lightweight build, some narrowish front wheels, a grp nosecone and muddies.
minimutly

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 06:34:02 PM »

Rather than struggle with posting a pic - here's a link:

http://berrisford.co.uk/index.php/parts-components/front-end/front-hub-assembly-without-caliper-mounts-2015.html

paulywombats

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 07:06:17 AM »

Interested in this build, plenty of pics please when you start.

I thought I was wrong once, it turned out I was incorrect!
Living on a wing and a weld
minimutly

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 10:22:40 PM »

Got to arrange some space in the workshop before winter, bring the frame/jig home from work and set it all up. Then make the front frame, fix it to the bike, sort steering and suspension, then the bodywork.
Oddly enough, yesterday the wife went into the workshop to chase next doors cat out (well persuade it, I would have chased it), anyway she saw the 500, looked up and said - "what the hell is this?" It's been there for two years, so I guessed I'd get away with telling her it was the next trike.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: