March 28, 2024, 11:29:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Information Technology disscussion/HELP..  (Read 4856 times)
spanners

« on: April 25, 2017, 09:29:30 AM »

OK,

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes as some of you  may have heard ,, i,m going to be moving  and maybe  sort of ,,off grid,, for some time

so  i need a way /method of  getting  onto the internet /keeping in contact  etc .. well i dont have any sort of fancy, phone. so

how about a ,tablet, sort of thingy ,, ,,kindle fire ,?Huh?? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

i believe they are very cheap  (£60)   or so  and i believe you can just log on  on any free ,WIFI, thats available
or use one  of those ,,dongle,, things

so please can you all help me out on this one ,, and point me in the right direction and advise me what to buy  ,,where from ,, and  how to use it ..

at least  it should  keep me in contact with  my Manky Monkey  friends

thanks

,,mike,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 10:46:25 AM »

I'd like to know about that too - I've got a newfangled fancy phone but it seems to be in charge of me more tham I'n in charge of it!

So yes - tablet info please!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 06:18:54 PM »

Dongles aren't cheap if you keep having to replace ? Just pop into currys/PC world and chat to them? A small tablet which you can use at many Free WiFi places ?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
dr big750

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 01:11:24 PM »

How about a Samsung Galaxy Tab A.
It's a tablet, that takes your own sim card, can use mobile data for internet from your sim, or wifi if available.
You can also use it as a phone, although a little big.
I've had one for a year, and am quite happy with it.
Alan
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 04:12:11 PM »

They cost a HOOOOOGE amount!  And if they are anything like my new Samsung phone or my grand-daughter's phone, they hardly ever pick up phone signal so they are always using expensive data or internet.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
spanners

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 11:27:49 AM »

i just looked up the samsung,s  and they do seem a little expensive and a bit to complicated for what i want and need ,

the more i look into this subject the more confused i get  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

i,m trying my best to get sorted out quickly, and sell some gear to get more funding to start afresh  but i seem to be struggling making any progress this week

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
kapri

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 07:23:46 AM »

I have a older smart phone that you can have for free .It MAY need a new battery but they are not dear on ebay, I just need to find a charger for it to chcek it over It was with 3G so you can buy a sim only deal from them on contract or PAYG . On contract you can get 500 date plus unlimited phone calls and texts for only £9 a month at the mo. You can also upgrade it by bluetoothing your tablet to it and using it as a mobile wifi 'hotspot'. ie your tablet will talk to your phone and you use the phone data.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 01:40:30 PM »

bluetoothing your tablet to it and using it as a mobile wifi 'hotspot'. ie your tablet will talk to your phone and you use the phone data.

Clever innit?  Bloody clever if you know how!

kapri

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 05:08:41 PM »

I'm a technophobe Bobbi but I figured it out .If in doubt ask Google ! LOL
kapri

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 05:12:46 PM »

I think the basics are you go into settings and enable bluetooth .Bluetooth is like a short distance radio transmitter hece you can use it to a remtre earpiece when driving, it's like am invisible extension lead. You then go ito seetings on your tablet and enable bluetooth and ask it to search for nerby devices . It should find you phone and pair with it

Then if you are planning on using a wifi hot spot ,like in a cafe  or even hospital ! , you go ito seetings and lok at available networks and switch to the wifi otherwise it will continue to use your phone date. Otherwis eyou can turn you phone right off and the tablet will pick up the wifi and you just tell it yes normally.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 05:24:24 PM »

Sounds like a pretty good offer for Spanners then!

I'm a bit more technophobe than usal at present as I've just acquired my first ever smartphone and don't really understand it, and a new Windows 10 laptop which I'm terrified of because I don't know what half the stuff is!

Maybe I should ask a child...........

skippy

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 09:23:04 PM »

don't go with kindle ,they have to much bloat ware . any android tablet , some interesting ones on ebay . as with all things speed an ram  Grin ars most important
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 09:29:54 PM »

My laptop's locked me out, (stopped recognising my User Profile). It's pretty knackered anyway, so I'll be shopping for a new one soon & hoping all the photos & stuff can be saved from the old hard drive.
So at the moment I'm doing everything from my SmartPhone. I thought about a tablet, but I prefer a proper full sized keyboard.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
spanners

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 12:07:49 AM »

My laptop's locked me out, (stopped recognising my User Profile). It's pretty knackered anyway, so I'll be shopping for a new one soon & hoping all the photos & stuff can be saved from the old hard drive.
So at the moment I'm doing everything from my SmartPhone. I thought about a tablet, but I prefer a proper full sized keyboard.

its all a strange world to us ,, Roll Eyes  we can use a slate and chalk,, not like these young  ones

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2017, 01:19:43 PM »

Cheesy

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: